Daily Devotional for May 2, 2016

May 2 ~ John 8:23-24
Jesus said, “You’re tied down to the mundane; I’m in touch with what is beyond your horizons. You live in terms of what you see and touch. I’m living on other terms. I told you that you were missing God in all this. You’re at a dead end. If you won’t believe I am who I say I am, you’re at the dead end of sins. You’re missing God in your lives.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

A picture recently appeared on Facebook of my friends posing with country music singer Carrie Underwood at a concert she performed in a nearby city. As a birthday gift for his wife, this friend apparently arranged for them to meet the singer and take a picture with her.  I’ve said before that I am not “starstruck” (although I probably would not pass up an opportunity to make a photo with a celebrity!)…but as I looked at these two people standing with Carrie Underwood, it occurred to me that SHE got the bigger treat!

This man is a wonderful family physician, a Godly father, and just an all-around “good egg.”  His wife is the mother to four amazing children.  As if that weren’t enough, she is trained as a neonatal nurse, and she serves in her church and community.  She is kind and caring…and I am blessed to have known her since she was a little girl.

Here’s the thing...a lot of us are looking for the extraordinary.  We operate in what we can see and touch…the “photo with a celebrity” we see on television and hear on the radio. Everywhere we look, he/she is doing what appear to be incredible things…and we get “starstruck.”  We don’t see how God is using US to do things that are equally spectacular – if not more so. 

We downplay the importance of nurturing our children so that they become polite, well-rounded and Godly individuals. We underestimate how God has worked in our marriages, friendships, and work relationships to create harmony and productivity.  We fail to see the critical role we play in furthering God’s kingdom through our Christian witness - and our words and actions.  We do not recognize God’s power to create “superstars for Jesus” in each and every one of us.  And we miss out on God in our lives.

The lesson for us today is to stop and take a breath…to recognize that God is using us even in the ordinary and “mundane” activities of life to make a difference for His kingdom.  Everything we do can be done to the glory of God.  I don’t mean to take anything away from Carrie Underwood – or my friends’ exciting birthday celebration.  But for my money, any person who recognizes God’s presence and influence in the simplest of everyday life events deserves “celebrity status.”  I have to think that THESE are the people with whom God would choose to have a photo made…and I want to be among them!  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: