Daily Devotional for May 31, 2016

Romans 12:1-2
So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
I know about three people on the planet who actually like to iron…myself, my friend Jo-Ann, and my niece Cindy.  I probably don’t iron as much as these two women, but I do my fair share.  I like the sharp, crisp appearance of neatly-pressed clothing.  I like how it feels to wear something that has been starched and ironed.  And this does add life to the garments, helps to prevent stains, and prolongs the number of “wears” you can get between washings!

As a rule, I don’t iron underwear…but anything that needs a little pressing is up for discussion in my laundry room!  One time, my husband asked me why I was spending time ironing his “permanent press” shirts.  I told him I didn’t want him to walk into the bank or another public venue and have someone we know see him in a wrinkled, rumpled shirt and think, “His wife doesn’t care about how he looks!”  I didn’t want someone to look at his less-than-polished appearance and decide that HE didn’t care about the details…because I know that he does!  In essence, details matter!

So I iron…lots of things that most folks wouldn’t.  Does this make me a better person?  Absolutely not.  But it speaks to what I have deemed to be my determination to embrace God even in little things. I have taken ordinary, mundane chores like scrubbing a bathroom, grocery shopping and prepping fruits and vegetables for consumption afterward, keeping the laundry done and the clothes neatly pressed…and I’ve made them offerings to God.

When I clean our house to keep my family healthy and everything in order, I am honoring the gifts that God has given me – my family and a beautiful, comfortable home.  When I go the extra mile to make sure my family’s clothing is presentable - or that we have healthy food to eat - I am demonstrating gratitude that we have plenty of clothing to wear and regular meals on our table.  When I take time to read an extra book to one of the children before a nap…or to sit and snuggle them for a few minutes…I am sowing my love – and the love of Christ – into their little hearts…and letting them know how precious they are to us.

Even when I stop for a few minutes to talk with our cat, Mabel, and scratch her ears or stroke her fur, I am demonstrating gratitude to God for this little furball who has filled our lives with joy for more than 17 years.  It seems to follow with me that when I am faithful and joyful in the little, everyday things, I am more cognizant of the bigger things…the blessings - and the responsibilities – that God has given me. I find that when I focus on honoring God in these seemingly insignificant things, I am automatically more aware that I must keep my words, thoughts and actions “clean and neatly pressed,” also.

Don’t misunderstand me…I’ve had plenty of days where I acted immaturely.  I sometimes get caught up in the pull and tug to fit in with the culture…and I’ve gossiped, disparaged, and shown out with the best of them…if only to sit on my duff and say, “That’s not my problem,” or “I’ll clean that up NEXT week!”  But I know better…and so do you!  The more I fall in love with Jesus and understand just how much He did for me…the more I want to give Him glory and honor in EVERYTHING I do…even ironing our clothing!

Ironing and housekeeping may not be your “thing,” but something is! Find out what brings you into closer harmony with God…and get busy doing it to the best of your ability!  Separate yourself from the culture around you and be the YOU that God has created and called.  Honor and glorify Him in everything you do…from the biggest, most visible acts to the small and mundane ones.  Let God bring out the best in you…and let others see His glory - and maybe a neatly pressed shirt or two - in the process!


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: