Daily Devotional for May 28, 2016

Revelation 20:4   
Then I saw thrones, and sitting on them were those who had been given the right to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus, for proclaiming the Word of God, and who had not worshiped the Creature or his statue, nor accepted his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They had come to life again and now they reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

You and I cannot fathom literally losing our heads for speaking of Jesus and proclaiming the Word of God.  And yet, it happens in our world even today.  In Columbine, Colorado, a teenage girl was shot when she told her assailant she knew Jesus.  In Charleston, South Carolina, family members of the victims told their murderer in court, “I forgive you.”  In a way, these are forms of “losing your head” for Jesus.  Many Christians are persecuted every day in our own back yards because they prayerfully speak what they believe is God’s truth, while others condemn them – and sometimes physically abuse them!

The Bible tells us that those who stand firm and serve as God’s witnesses will be rewarded.  We are promised that we will be given yet another “new life in Christ” for our faithfulness and steadfast delivery of His message to the world.  OUR JOB is to be certain that this is the message we are delivering…that we are doing the work of Jesus Christ and not that of the conniving, sly agents of the devil!

Sadly, there are a lot of people who believe they are doing God’s work…that they are sharing the message of Christ.  And all the while, they are judging and condemning others, acting out of hate and fear rather than love, and demonstrating anything but Jesus’ grace and mercy.  As I read this scripture verse, I pictured the day of judgment…and the countless “Christians” who THOUGHT they were serving God but had actually accepted the mark of the devil and perpetuated His message!  These souls will be sorely disappointed and dismayed when Christ raises His church – and they are not among the saints!

We must be diligent and very careful as we study God’s word and follow the teachings of Jesus.  We must make certain that our thoughts, words and actions line up with His.  We must be prepared to take the abuse and criticism that may come…willing to literally lose our heads (although hopefully, it will never come to that) in order to speak and live God’s truth. I don’t know where or how you and I will come face to face with Jesus…but I want to be certain that He is pleased with me in that moment.  I want to know that He will raise me to new life with Him…and I am doing all I can to ensure that I always operate in His will – and no one else’s.  What about you?

       
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: