Daily Devotional for May 7, 2016

Luke 23:43
And Jesus replied, “Today you will be with me in Paradise. This is a solemn promise.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I am not going to lie…this is a tough stretch of days.  Facebook is filled with photos of mothers.  Everyone is talking about Mother’s Day…and some have sweetly posted comments on my wall to let them know that they are thinking of my sister and me on our first Mother’s Day without our own mother’s earthly presence.  I celebrate ALL mothers…on this earth and in heaven – especially Greg’s mother, who is so very dear to me. I treasure memories of my own mother - and my grandmothers and great-grandmother. And I don’t know what I would do these days without my “other mothers,” who nurture me…advise me and love me unconditionally.

But at the end of the day, what will get me through this “rough patch” is what gets me through a lot of things…the “solemn promise” that Paradise is real.  I am comforted, encouraged and sustained by the confidence that Jesus is waiting for me there, along with my loved ones who have gone before me.  Because I have surrendered my sins – and my heart – to Him, He has assured me that my soul will live forever in His presence.  There will be no more tears, no more struggles…no more worries about everything from world peace to whether or not I should eat that last cookie!  It truly will be “all good.”

So I am going to focus on the mothers in my midst…with a respectful nod to those who have passed.  I am going to thank Jesus for my own salvation - and His promise that I will be reunited with my parents and so many loved ones someday.  I take great comfort in the confidence that we will sit at His feet and bask in His glory forever and ever.  Meanwhile, I am going to honor this promise to the best of my ability by serving Him wholeheartedly and obediently.  I will trust His amazing promise in exchange for my simple (yet powerful) act of surrender…and live with hope for the future.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: