Daily Devotional for May 21, 2016

Matthew 6:14-15
“In prayer there is a connection between what God does and what you do. You can’t get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God’s part.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Often when Timothy and Nathan work with Legos® or other blocks, something will not fit together, and they will growl and say, “Awww…I can’t figure this out!”  When I am sewing or creating a craft pattern, there are many times that I stop and ask, “What am I missing?”  In most of these instances, we are getting in a hurry and trying to do things “our way,” or we have not considered the big picture.  And this same principle applies to how we treat others – and whether or not we forgive them.

If we are honest, we have asked God at least once, “Why are you not answering me?”  Now this can have a lot of different implications.  We can be asking, “Why didn’t you give me what I wanted?” We can be saying, “I feel cut off from you – lonely and afraid."  Or we can simply be asking, “Lord, what is taking so long?”  In all cases, the answer may lie more with OUR behaviors than with God’s responses.

I will be the first to say that I have felt God tell me, “You are holding a grudge,” or “You’ve not done your part yet.”  I realized that the very answers I needed…the help I so desperately sought…was blocked because of my unwillingness to forgive another.  It is amazing what can happen when we slow down, fully assess the situation, and make the necessary corrections on our end!

So stop and take a hard look at your life today.  Where are you holding grudges?  Who do you need to forgive?  What answers do you seek that don’t seem to come…and the only explanation seems to be that YOU are blocking the responses with your attitudes and behaviors.  Isn’t it time to open the floodgates of heaven…to forgive those as God has forgiven you…to fully bask in His blessings and abundance?  Will this be the day that you get started?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: