Daily Devotional for September 1, 2016

John 20:11-18
Mary Magdalene stood crying outside the tomb. She was still weeping, when she stooped down and saw two angels inside. They were dressed in white and were sitting where Jesus' body had been. One was at the head and the other was at the foot. The angels asked Mary, “Why are you crying?”

She answered, “They have taken away my Lord’s body! I don’t know where they have put him.”

As soon as Mary said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there. But she did not know who he was. Jesus asked her, “Why are you crying? Who are you looking for?”

She thought he was the gardener and said, “Sir, if you have taken his body away, please tell me, so I can go and get him.”

Then Jesus said to her, “Mary!”

She turned and said to him, “Rabboni.” The Aramaic word “Rabboni” means “Teacher.”

Jesus told her, “Don’t hold on to me! I have not yet gone to the Father. But tell my disciples that I am going to the one who is my Father and my God, as well as your Father and your God.” Mary Magdalene then went and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord. She also told them what he had said to her.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A few years ago, my mother gave copies of a little book called Jesus Calling* to me, my sister, and my niece. When Mother died in January, I found extra copies in her “stash” of books, so I know that she shared this inspirational book with many people over the years.

Mother spoke of
Jesus Calling often…she faithfully read her copy every day.  I have it on my desk, and often, I look at the notes she made and the parts she underlined.  I will admit that I didn’t pay much attention to my copy until Mother’s last days on this earth.  And while I sometimes get busy, I always catch up on the entries at some point during the week. I would highly recommend Jesus Calling to each of you…the passages are brief and easy to understand – as if they were written from Jesus directly to us. There are also scripture references for each entry that correlate the message to actual Bible verses.

This morning, I was reading the entry for August 30th, which begins…”There is no place so desolate that you cannot find Me there.”  In the second paragraph, “Jesus” tells us, “No set of circumstances could ever isolate you from My loving Presence.”

As I read this story from John 20 of Mary Magdalene and how despondent and lonely she must have felt after Jesus’ death, I was touched by the gentleness of Jesus’ encounter with her.  He didn’t yell at her…or scream, “Mary, it’s ME…JESUS!  How could you not know Me?”  He gently and sweetly approached her.  And with a simple almost-whisper of her name, Mary recognized her Lord. The tenderness of this image nearly moves me to tears.  Jesus is always with us…but He never forces Himself on us.

This may be a difficult day for you. You may be so busy that you don’t see how you can possibly accomplish everything on your “to-do” list. You may be brokenhearted with grief and sadness…frightened about circumstances beyond your control…angry over some injustice or wrong…sick or injured - and worried about your health and well-being. Or you may  be filled with uncontrollable joy and excitement about wonderful things that are happening to you and/or someone you love.  Life may be exceptionally hard right now…or incredibly good…or somewhere in between.

Regardless of your situation and present circumstances, Jesus is with you. He is gently and tenderly calling your name. You may be looking everywhere for Him…or He may not even be “on your radar” today. But I assure you that you are on His!  He is with you…waiting to be recognized…ready to meet your every need and walk with you through this day – and every other. Stop…look…listen…and call to Jesus! Recognize His presence, and take every opportunity to let others know that He is always available to each of us.

Jesus IS calling…your Lord is right beside you!  Will you acknowledge His presence?  


©2016 Debbie Robus

*www.JesusCalling.com

No comments: