Daily Devotional for September 27, 2016

Luke 6:30-35    
Give to everyone who asks and don’t ask people to return what they have taken from you. Treat others just as you want to be treated.

If you love only someone who loves you, will God praise you for that? Even sinners love people who love them. If you are kind only to someone who is kind to you, will God be pleased with you for that? Even sinners are kind to people who are kind to them. If you lend money only to someone you think will pay you back, will God be pleased with you for that? Even sinners lend to sinners because they think they will get it all back.

But love your enemies and be good to them. Lend without expecting to be paid back. Then you will get a great reward, and you will be the true children of God in heaven. He is good even to people who are unthankful and cruel.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

It’s happened more than once.  A person I thought was a friend did something hurtful toward me – or toward another friend or loved one.  And then this person acted as if nothing had happened. There are also a few people who never respond to my kindnesses…who never say “Thank You” when I wish them well or do something nice for them. And I continue to do it anyway. Why? Because decades ago, someone gave me some excellent (and scriptural) advice when another person had treated me poorly…”Kill ‘em with kindness.”

Here’s the thing…think of all that you have done that broke Jesus’ heart.  Did He turn His back on you? Did Jesus say, “You mistreated Me, so I am not doing another thing for you!”…or “You are dead to Me!” No, Jesus continues to love us and bless us even as we disappoint Him on a daily basis.  We are offered unmerited favor, also known as GRACE – God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.  And we are called to extend this same gift to others.

At every turn, we must ask ourselves, “How do we wish to be treated?”  We must consider how Jesus treats us – even when we falter…how He reacts when we “borrow” and don’t repay…how He loves us even when we break His heart.  We have to ask ourselves whether we think we are better than Jesus…or whether we should be implementing His model of compassion, grace, mercy and forgiveness in our daily interaction with others.

The answer is clear to me.  I won’t say that I don’t have to sometimes grit my teeth and bite my tongue while I smile and say or do nice things for someone else.  But because of God’s grace, I try to treat others as I wish to be treated…whether they reciprocate or not. At some point, your efforts may be noticed. The “borrower” or “offender” may acknowledge that you treated him/her better than he/she deserved.  But either way, you will be able to say to yourself – and most importantly, to Jesus – “I did my best to honor what You commanded. I treated others as YOU treat me…and as I wish to be treated.”

There are people who will hurt us...people who will borrow and never repay…people who will disappoint us – or even break our hearts – and then act as if nothing ever happened.  Bad things will happen to “good” people…at the hands of other people we thought were inherently “good.” How we react and respond speaks volumes about where we are as a Christian disciple.  What  - and WHO - are you showing to others these days?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: