Daily Devotional for September 13, 2016

John 4:34-38
Jesus said, “The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started. As you look around right now, wouldn’t you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest? Well, I’m telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what’s right in front of you. These Samaritan fields are ripe. It’s harvest time!

 
“The Harvester isn’t waiting. He’s taking his pay, gathering in this grain that’s ripe for eternal life. Now the Sower is arm in arm with the Harvester, triumphant. That’s the truth of the saying, ‘This one sows, that one harvests.’ I sent you to harvest a field you never worked. Without lifting a finger, you have walked in on a field worked long and hard by others.”
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
My cousin Natalie introduced me to the  Silhouette® Cameo - a computerized machine that cuts all sorts of things out of adhesive vinyl, heat transfer vinyl , fabric, paper, and more.  The Silhouette® has revolutionized how I sew and create outfits and gifts for my family and friends, as well as card making projects and so much more!  And…it’s FUN! I get a great sense of satisfaction from creating something that looks so polished and crisp!
 
Like so many “gadgets” in our lives today, this machine and my computer do the hard work for me.  I have to make the effort to pick a design and use the tools in the computer program to create a template…but the machine does a lot of the “thinking” for me, then actually cuts out the designs.  Here’s the thing…I have to be awake and alert.  I have to position the material just right for cutting and set the blade to the correct sharpness for my material.  I must pay attention to select colors and materials that are right for whatever I am making.  I learned the hard way that you cannot iron a heat transfer on an insulated metal tumbler! I have to attach the cutouts to whatever surface they were destined to adorn.
 
I am grateful for this machine and the “work” it does for me.  I appreciate my dishwasher and washing machine…the serger that finishes my stitched edges so nicely…the hot water that appears in the sink when I turn on the appropriate faucet…and my smart phone that does more than I even realize!  But I have to do my part, too!  I have to put dishes in the dishwasher, and turn on the phone and punch some buttons.  I have to place clothes in the washer and select the design for my machine to cut.  And when it comes to harvesting souls for Jesus, we have work to do, as well.
 
Many faithful servants paved the way and established a foundation for God’s Kingdom even before Jesus came to earth.  Then Jesus did the truly hard work by dying on the cross for our sins and giving us not only an outline for how to live and minister to others – but His Holy Spirit to accompany us and serve as our personal Guide and Companion. But we have to do our part.  We have to put these directives into action. We must demonstrate Jesus’ teachings and emulate His words and actions in our everyday living.  We are called to seek out those who need Jesus for themselves…and to share His love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, compassion, joy, hope and healing with them.
 
We’ve grown complacent in this world, thanks in large part to the many “conveniences” that do much of our work.  If anything, this should give us more time and tools for winning others to Christ and sharing His blessings with them.  We’ve been given all of the right equipment…the “hard work” has been done. Now it’s time for us to handle the “harvest!”  Are you ready to roll up your sleeves and get busy?
 
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: