Daily Devotional for September 21, 2016

Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. Her sister Mary sat on the floor, listening to Jesus as he talked.

But Martha was the jittery type and was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing.

She came to Jesus and said, “Sir, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

But the Lord said to her, “Martha, dear friend, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it—and I won’t take it away from her!”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

For the last few years, I have worked with children at church as a Sunday school teacher and VBS assistant. Now that Timothy, Zola and Nathan are in school, I also volunteer in their classrooms. I never lost my love for teaching – or children…but as I work with children nowadays, I am reminded of an incredibly critical objective – to keep the main thing the main thing!

What does this mean?  As I look at the children in each classroom, I see little minds ready to be filled with wisdom and knowledge.  But more importantly, I see little hearts that need to be filled with love…the love of Jesus - and my own.  On any given day, we have no clue what kids bring to the classroom. Some are foster children who may have been shuffled from home to home. Some are living in dysfunctional families with parents who argue constantly or have mountains of problems that fill the home with stress and strife. Some have special needs – physically and mentally - while others just have trouble fitting in with their peers.

Some are brilliant thinkers…or are highly creative and need lots of stimulation to nurture their gifts, while others struggle to grasp even the simplest concepts and need extra attention and repetition. Some are incredibly athletic and fit, while others can barely walk a straight line or dribble a ball.

The bottom line is that each and every child comes hungry for love and attention…for someone to meet them right where they are in that moment.  And if we miss this as teachers/leaders/volunteers, we have missed the most important detail of the day. As I look back to the years that I was actually a public school teacher, I wonder how many days I was more concerned with getting all of my reports in on time - or meeting stated goals - and I missed an opportunity to reassure a child.  How many times was I so frustrated and stressed out that I didn’t smile and offer a kind word to a child who really needed that more than anything else?

I cannot return to my kindergarten classroom of the 80s…but I can make a concerted effort moving forward to meet “children” of all ages, right where they are.  We live in “Martha’s” world…but I want “Mary’s” heart!  At the end of the day, my “to-do” list may still be full. But if I hear the voice of Jesus – and follow His lead, it won’t matter what else is left unchecked.

Have you discovered the One Thing worth worrying about…or are you busy with all of the little details?  Don’t miss out on the most important part of Christian discipleship.  Learn to focus on sharing Jesus with others every day – in all that you do.  Trust Him to organize your details. Ensure that the ones that truly matter are accomplished. Are you ready to focus more on Jesus’ details and missions than your own?  Will this be the day that you get started?

  
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: