Daily Devotional for September 25, 2016

Luke 23:34-35    
Jesus said, “Father, forgive these people!  They don’t know what they’re doing.”

While the crowd stood there watching Jesus, the soldiers gambled for his clothes.  The leaders insulted him by saying, “He saved others.  Now he should save himself, if he really is God’s chosen Messiah.”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was a little girl, I always wanted to take dance lessons like my classmates.  My mother said we could not afford them. I will admit…I resented that.  As a child, I failed to recognize that she and my dad were already scrimping and scraping to pay for piano lessons, braces for our teeth, and much more – times three! I distinctly remember my mother saying that if she didn’t make braces happen to alleviate the huge gap between my front teeth and give me a nice smile, she would regret it the rest of her life.

My mother was like many parents – she wanted to afford me every opportunity for a lifetime of success. Even thought she taught piano lessons, when my siblings and I were in junior high, Mother paid for us to study under another teacher with “conservatory-level” experience.  For a girl growing up in our little community, piano lessons were sure to carry one further in life than learning to do a little tap and ballet.  And Mother was right. Still, I did not understand…and I am sure that I didn’t appreciate many of my parents’ sacrifices - or why they made the decisions on my behalf that they did.

I’ll be honest…there are many instances where I don’t understand what Jesus does…even today.  Why did He allow three elementary school children to lose their dad to cancer?  Why does He allow the existence of orphans and foster children?  Why are there terrorists and murderers…child molesters and people who abuse animals?  Why doesn’t Jesus “come down from the cross” and fix all of this?

The answer that I keep getting is…”You wouldn’t really need Me if I fixed everything.”  I also hear Jesus saying, “You don’t know what you are asking…and I forgive you for it.”  In terms of how I relate this to my everyday living, I offer this…there are things that have happened to me in my lifetime that I do not understand.  Not only have life-changing events occurred…accidents, illnesses, personal losses and disappointments…but I have also made some mistakes along the way.  And each time, God has used these to teach me not only how much I need Him…but also great lessons in humility, compassion, grace and mercy.

I feel like I am more understanding about those around me because of the forgiveness I have been granted.  I know that Jesus stayed on the cross for me – and for you.  I know that because of His sacrifice, I am able to look at others with His heart and the desire that they come to know Him as I do...as the Savior who makes all things possible.

I seriously doubt that I would still be tap dancing or performing ballet at almost 60, but I still play the piano every week! And while I still question events and circumstances from time to time, I learn to trust Jesus more every day.  What He allows can be used for His glory – and make us better disciples, if we will only pay attention and trust Him to know best.  How well are you doing these days?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: