Daily Devotional for September 24, 2016

Luke 22:35-37
Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out to preach the Good News and you were without money, duffle bag, or extra clothing, how did you get along?”

“Fine,” they replied.

“But now,” he said, “take a duffle bag if you have one and your money. And if you don’t have a sword, better sell your clothes and buy one! For the time has come for this prophecy about me to come true: ‘He will be condemned as a criminal!’ Yes, everything written about me by the prophets will come true.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

A couple of Sundays ago, my friend Valerie and I taught 2nd-3rd grade Sunday school together.  We both had tan tote bags that looked very similar…and we both remarked that we had each thought the other one’s purse was ours. Valerie showed me how heavy her purse was…and I laughed, because mine was equally heavy.  It seems that we women try to carry the world in our purses…and if there are small children involved, this is absolutely a necessity!

Once in a while, Greg and I will go somewhere that I do not carry a purse.  Sometimes, I will slip a couple of things in the car…and I usually have a pocket for my phone. But in general, the days of “traveling light” pretty well disappeared for me years ago.  Just as surely as I don’t carry my purse, the children or I will need something – tissues or a handkerchief…eyeglass cleaner…cream for some sort of bite, itch or “boo-boo”…hand sanitizer…a pen…my extra set of keys or my wallet…the kids’ sunglasses…and so much more. To go without these things might not amount to a matter of life or death, but I would rather be prepared than caught off guard!

How does this apply to our daily living as a Christian?  Jesus is telling us that we can’t just wander through life and expect God to take care of everything for us.  We can’t let our feet hit the floor in the morning without our “duffel bag” by our side, filled with the word of God (our sword), the presence of the Holy Spirit (our currency), confidence and faith in our mission (extra clothing), and direct communication with our Heavenly Father to assure that we are on the right track!  We have no clue what we will need in any given minute, so we’d better be prepared for anything!

The battle is real. The stakes are high. The days of venturing out into the world with just the clothes on our back are gone. The devil’s enemies are waiting and watching, and they will pick out those who are not prepared and attack them with a vengeance.  Many will never even see the “hit” coming.  Do not be among them!

Your “duffel bag” may seem so heavy and cumbersome at times…and totally unnecessary at others.  But I assure you, it is worth the weight.  There will be days when you want to ask, “Why can’t I just ‘be’ today?”  And the short answer is…”What if Jesus had said this on the cross?” Our “burden” pales in comparison to that of our Jesus.  So pack your duffel bag and prepare for the journey ahead.  There is work to be done - and we don’t have a minute to waste!


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: