Daily Devotional for December 10, 2016

December 10 ~ Luke 6:30
Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don’t worry about getting them back.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was about eight or nine, I got a brand new bicycle.  A boy my age came into our yard one day and asked if he could try out the bike.  His dad worked with my dad sometimes, so I said, “Yes.”  The boy hopped on the bicycle and rode away…like several blocks, across the highway, and across town.  My dad happened to be home, and when I told him what had happened, he got in to his truck, chased the boy down, and retrieved my bicycle.  Daddy told me to never let someone outside of the family ride my bike again…and I didn’t!

I learned a valuable lesson that day about lending to others.  Of course, the “lesson” is different for children and bicycles - or other toys and personal belongings.  But as an adult, I’ve learned that any “loan” I make could very well be a “gift.”  And let’s be honest…if the need is great enough for someone to ask you for a loan, there is a good chance that person has eaten a big slice of “humble pie” to do so.  My pastor has wisely noted that the time to help someone is when he/she asks.

So if a person asks to borrow money, a tool, an item of clothing, or a book or other personal belonging – and I can afford to help him/her…I “lend” with the assumption that I will never see this article again. Of course, God wants us to be wise. Don’t lend someone your car with the same supposition.  Don’t lend money you need for your mortgage, utilities, food…or daily living. Don’t give away your “nest egg!”

Be wise…pray about such loans before you commit to them…and make good choices.  But don’t be stingy.  Don’t expect people to jump through hoops to repay a few dollars – or to return a coat you never wore in the first place.  Be realistic and understand that even people with the best intentions sometimes don’t follow through on their promises. Give accordingly…with God’s guidance and blessing.

In short…don’t get hung up on your possessions or accrued wealth.  If someone else is truly in need and asks to borrow, be ready to prayerfully give what is needed.  If the loan is repaid, consider it a bonus.  If not, trust God for the “compensation.” And never, ever let someone outside of your trusted “family” take a spin on your new bicycle!


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: