Daily Devotional for December 13, 2016

Matthew 10:40-42
“We are intimately linked in this harvest work. Anyone who accepts what you do, accepts me, the One who sent you. Anyone who accepts what I do accepts my Father, who sent me. Accepting a messenger of God is as good as being God’s messenger. Accepting someone’s help is as good as giving someone help. This is a large work I’ve called you into, but don’t be overwhelmed by it. It’s best to start small. Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won’t lose out on a thing.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

When I decorated for Christmas this year, it seemed I had “light” issues everywhere I turned.  I could not find the lights for the “big” tree…and the lights on the tree I place atop the piano would not come on and had to be replaced.  I could have thrown up my hands and gotten upset…but instead, I just knuckled down and got it done.  And part of what motivated me was a gift I received last Christmas.

Greg’s brother died on New Year’s Eve…and the following day, my mother entered the hospital – and subsequently was admitted to Hospice care.  The next twelve days are something of a blur, spent with family as we mourned the passing of a beloved brother…and sitting at my mother’s bedside in her living room. A lot of that time, Greg was with me…and other family members came and went, as well.  The first few nights, I came home to shower and sleep. Later, I stayed at my mother’s house pretty well around the clock.  But twice, I slipped away in the early morning hours to drive home, shower, and have a cup of coffee…to take a deep breath, hug my husband and our cat, and be “normal” for a few minutes.  And one of the things that I remember about coming home is the lights.

Every time I drove into our driveway, lights welcomed me.  Greg made sure to turn on all of the holiday lights inside and out…the trees, the mantel…all of it.  Those twinkling lights were a warm welcome that said, “You are home…you are loved…and it’s going to be okay.”

I don’t know how else to explain what I felt.  I’ve always loved lights. I keep several strands glowing year-round throughout our house.  But the thought that my husband made a point to turn on these holiday lights in the midst of such chaos and sadness was an extraordinary gift to me. He would probably shrug and say, “It was nothing.”  But I am here to tell you…the gesture spoke volumes.  In my eyes, it was huge.  This was my “cup of water” to quench my thirst for a small sense of normalcy – and a warm welcome.

This year, as I strung bright lights throughout our house, I thought of last year…and how the decorations became a much-needed “gift” of sorts.  And the extra effort to get them working just right brought me joy and peace.  As I read this passage today, I asked myself…”Who in my ‘circle’ is thirsty?  Who needs my smallest gesture of love and encouragement?  Who needs a smile…my prayers…a phone call or note of love and care?  Who needs a bag of cookies and hot cocoa mix – or a simple Christmas card?  What child needs an ‘angel tree’ gift?  Who needs my change in the bucket to help make it through the holidays and beyond?”

Sometimes the smallest gifts have the biggest impact.  Who needs your “cup of water” today…or for you to simply “turn on the Christmas lights?”  Are you ready to do your part in this “harvest work?”  Don’t you think it’s time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: