Daily Devotional for December 17, 2016

Matthew 25:31-46
When the Son of Man comes in his glory with all of his angels, he will sit on his royal throne. The people of all nations will be brought before him, and he will separate them, as shepherds separate their sheep from their goats.

He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, “My father has blessed you! Come and receive the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world was created. When I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, and when I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me, and when I was naked, you gave me clothes to wear. When I was sick, you took care of me, and when I was in jail, you visited me.”

Then the ones who pleased the Lord will ask, “When did we give you something to eat or drink? When did we welcome you as a stranger or give you clothes to wear or visit you while you were sick or in jail?”

The king will answer, “Whenever you did it for any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did it for me.”

Then the king will say to those on his left, “Get away from me! You are under God’s curse. Go into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels! I was hungry, but you did not give me anything to eat, and I was thirsty, but you did not give me anything to drink. I was a stranger, but you did not welcome me, and I was naked, but you did not give me any clothes to wear. I was sick and in jail, but you did not take care of me.”

Then the people will ask, “Lord, when did we fail to help you when you were hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in jail?”

The king will say to them, “Whenever you failed to help any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you failed to do it for me.”

Then Jesus said, “Those people will be punished forever. But the ones who pleased God will have eternal life.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I almost didn’t go to school to help in the kids’ classrooms yesterday.  I’ve been a little under the weather lately, and I almost “called in sick.”  But I woke early and felt pretty decent, so I dressed and headed for the school. Within 5 minutes of my arrival, I knew why I was there. A young mother approached me and began to thank me for the sympathy card and message I sent when her dad passed away recently.  She said my words were just what she needed to hear, and she had hoped to see me to thank me in person.

About 30 minutes later, I visited with a teacher whose mother was buried earlier in the week. I hugged her as she cried and asked, “Will it ever get better?”  I assured her that it would – in time…that it has been eleven months since my mother died, and I sometimes feel that I am still numb.  I also told her that God is shielding her now from more pain and sadness than she could otherwise bear, and He will continue to do this.  She squeezed me tightly and said, “You really do know how this feels.”

I don’t share these experiences for any other reason than to show you that “hunger” comes in many forms.  These two women needed a word of encouragement from someone who has “been there, done that”…and God apparently chose me.  I told one of them that when my own dad and brother died in a span of 13 months, I was struck by how many dear friends and loved ones said and did absolutely NOTHING to comfort us…and I vowed to never be that person for someone else.  God made a believer out of me in a profound way…and I am so glad He did!

I don’t know what God is calling you to do to minister to the hungry, thirsty, naked, sick or jailed.  I don’t know what strangers He will insert into your path to be shown His grace, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, hope and promise.  But I know that God WILL do this. We had best all be watching and listening for any and all opportunities to serve as the hands and feet of Jesus to everyone we encounter…whether they are a stranger or someone we know and love dearly.  And we need to begin today.  Are you paying attention?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: