Daily Devotional for December 26, 2016

Titus 2:7-8
And here you yourself must be an example to them of good deeds of every kind. Let everything you do reflect your love of the truth and the fact that you are in dead earnest about it. Your conversation should be so sensible and logical that anyone who wants to argue will be ashamed of himself because there won’t be anything to criticize in anything you say!

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

“So-and-So said a bad word!” Adults hear that a lot from children. I also hear, “We can’t say bad words, because we’re kids. When we’re grown-ups, we can say it.”  I’ve seen children snicker in the classroom over a word they perceived to be “bad”…and tattle on each other for what they deemed to be inappropriate words and deeds.

I try to tell all children that “bad” words/behaviors are just that…a bad idea.  Even grown-ups shouldn’t participate in their usage. It’s hard to navigate this subject without appearing to criticize other adults…especially a child’s parents or others who are something of an authority figure. And with so many in the public eye using profanities and unkind phrases, it is indeed a slippery slope!  So I try to tell children, “You are smart…you know lots of great words to use – and you know how to behave nicely. Always make good choices!”

None of us is immune. I was putting Timmy in the car at school recently, and he kept saying, “I can’t fasten my seatbelt.”  I looked in the back seat…and before I could think, I said, “Well, dummy…you’re wearing your backpack!”  Boy, did I have to do some backpedaling and apologizing…and I did!  I told him that was a terrible name to call him…and I was so very sorry…that I should never use that word.  I’ve also tried to tell the children not to use words like “stupid and idiot” – and then I’ve heard them expressed in “kid’s” movies like “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!”  It’s a tough balancing act because so many unkind and inappropriate words and actions have become mainstream in media and personal conversation…and we HAVE become complacent about their usage.

So I have been reminded to stay on guard. My words to Timmy slipped out…but I need to be more careful.  A lot of things have a way of “slipping out” if we do not make a conscious effort to conduct ourselves in a manner that defies reproach.

God can help us with this.  We should take time every day to ask Him for guidance and guardianship over our words and actions.  We should steep ourselves in His word and the concept that “practice makes perfect”…and we should make concerted efforts to banish any hint of bad word usage or behavior that could be subject to criticism.  God has given us so much…the opportunity for salvation through Jesus Christ and the promise of Eternity in heaven…His love and care on this earth and forever at His feet…amazing blessings and abundances of all kinds.  How can we disrespect Him with words and behaviors that are untrue, inappropriate, or even downright shameful?

As we wind down this holiday season and look toward a New Year, let’s make a concerted effort to clean up our act…to be the kind of people spoken of in Titus 2:7-8.  The justification that we are earthly “grown-ups” doesn’t negate the fact that we will always be God’s “children,” so let’s remember this as we go about our day. Make sure that you strive to always represent our Heavenly Father in the best way possible.

We must never give anyone a reason to question our integrity - or our spiritual “lineage.”  Ask God to help you always make good choices – and never operate in bad ideas.


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: