Daily Devotional for December 31, 2016

1 John 1:8-10
If we claim that we’re free of sin, we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins—make a clean breast of them—he won’t let us down; he’ll be true to himself. He’ll forgive our sins and purge us of all wrongdoing. If we claim that we’ve never sinned, we out-and-out contradict God—make a liar out of him. A claim like that only shows off our ignorance of God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
When I was about twelve, I got braces to correct an overbite and a huge gap between my two front teeth. I wore the braces for about two years, and the result was a really nice smile with perfectly aligned teeth. I even had my wisdom teeth removed, because the orthodontist said they might affect my new “alignment” if we allowed them emerge later on.

Despite my efforts to practice good dental health, my perfectly straight row of lower teeth have pushed together a bit over time – probably due to “bruxism” – a condition where I grind my teeth at night. I also started to have a slight gap between two of my upper teeth that was cosmetically bothersome. To compensate for the grinding, the dentist made me a little “retainer” of sorts to wear at night - called a “night guard.”

Many years ago, the dentist made impressions of my teeth to create a model for the night guard. Over time, this device became pretty worn. Last spring, I took in the old models of my teeth and asked the dentist to make me a new device.  For a few weeks, this new night guard fit pretty snugly…but over time, my teeth adjusted. The gap is much smaller now as my teeth have conformed to the fit of this device created from my original impressions.

I could deny that I grind my teeth…but the dentist can prove otherwise.  To say that he is mistaken would be to essentially call him a liar. And while this might offend him…I would be the real loser as my teeth weakened and separated over time. I’m not going to say that my teeth would ever be as badly aligned as they were when I was twelve…but I could surely do some serious damage and negate all of the hard work it took to get a nice, straight smile.

Even worse, I could grind the teeth down so much that they began to crack and break. And besides…my parents really scrimped and scraped to pay for my braces. To fail to do what I need to protect my teeth would be incredibly disrespectful and ungrateful toward them.

The solution is simple. I pop in this little soft plastic night guard each night and sleep with confidence that my teeth are protected – and staying in place.  And honestly, the “solution” with God is pretty simple, too.  All we have to do is acknowledge that we are sinners…then affirm that Jesus died so that our sins are forgiven. Then we must stay in close contact with Him through prayer and Bible study, so that we have the best chance of maintaining alignment with His will for our lives.

Just like my teeth can still shift and change, we are all still capable of sin. To claim we aren’t is the same as saying that God is a liar!  A right relationship with Jesus Christ is our spiritual “night guard.”  When we admit that we are sinners and do all of the “preventative maintenance” necessary to honor Jesus’ sacrifice for us, we will always enjoy His protection and blessings.  To accept Salvation in Jesus Christ - then try to have things our way after the fact - is essentially the same as thumbing our noses at this amazing Gift and indicating that we are plenty capable of keeping ourselves aligned without any help. Honestly, this tells Jesus, “I didn’t really need You in the first place…and any claims You make to the contrary are lies.”

Surely this is not how we want to live.  And there is no time like today to make necessary changes.  Don’t let your spiritual relationship with Jesus weaken or lose its alignment. As you think about the New Year and resolutions to make improvements, put your relationship with Him at the top of the list!  Jesus is already your perfect “Night Guard”…all you have to do is acknowledge that you continually need Him – and enjoy the perfect alignment of His grace, mercy, forgiveness and blessings.  It’s an offer you can’t afford to refuse!  Are you ready to “line up” with Jesus?  Will this be the year that you do?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: