1 John 2:12-14
I remind you, my dear children: Your sins are forgiven in Jesus’ name. You veterans were in on the ground floor, and know the One who started all this; you newcomers have won a big victory over the Evil One.

And a second reminder, dear children: You know the Father from personal experience. You veterans know the One who started it all; and you newcomers—such vitality and strength! God’s word is so steady in you. Your fellowship with God enables you to gain a victory over the Evil One.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I’ve been talking with a few of friends who are in the throes of some difficult situations, including struggles with the issues of aging, terminal illness, and challenges at work.  I have tried to offer hope and encouragement to them as someone who - as one friend put it – “has been through the fire” on a few of these fronts. Indeed, like anyone who has lived nearly 60 years, I’ve experienced a few “life events.”  And I feel very much like a “veteran who knows the One who started it all.”

This morning, I woke and looked around our house (which is still fully “dressed” in Christmas decorations) and thought about all that has happened to me and my family in just one year.  Last winter, I didn’t get the Christmas decorations put away until nearly the end of January, so I am counting my blessings that I am somewhat ahead of the game today!  But for the moment, I look around the house and see decorations everywhere…and a part of me is asking, “How on earth will I ever get this all put away?”  The simple answer is, “one piece at a time.”  I can’t fully explain how this will happen, but I know that I will roll up my sleeves, get in there and get started…and soon it will all be done.

You probably know that 2016 was a year that tested – and strengthened - our faith.  I hope that we have demonstrated to others – especially our children – that even when we don’t know how we will “get it done,” God is making a way.  If I have learned anything, I’ve learned that even when we don’t know how we will manage a situation…how we will ever survive the  situations and circumstances that cause us to feel like the world is crumbling around us…God is busy working everything out and meeting our needs.

Yesterday, Nathan slipped out of a kitchen counter chair – and bumped his head.  I’m sure it really hurt, and he cried big ole “crocodile tears.”  I cuddled him in my lap with a cold “owie bag” and assured him that it would be okay soon.  He tearfully said, “No, it won’t!”  But it was…and soon, he was playing – and climbing back into that chair for another snack!

Yes, there are days when I want to curl up in a ball and say, “This is too much!”  That happens to all of us.  And I believe those are the days when God cradles us in His lap, much as I did Nathan, and says, “It’s going to be okay. I know you don’t see it…but I promise, I’m right here with you.” God is always fighting the Evil One behind the scenes.  When we sit in His lap and pour out our heart and soul, He is holding us with one arm…and swinging His sword at the devil with his other.

When I tell others that “this will be okay,” I do not say this smugly…but rather, as one who has faith and confidence that it truly will. I am quick to tell you – I have not lost a child or a spouse – or suffered a lengthy and debilitating illness…and I cannot fathom the anguish of these situations.  But I have observed many who have experienced these heartbreaks and difficulties, and I have seen how God carried them through – and healed their hearts to a point where they could continue to function and bless others.  I truly believe that God can bring us through anything…the really “big stuff” like death, illness and personal struggle…and the relatively small stuff of taking down our holiday decorations!

When you stop and think about it, there is no other who has the all-encompassing power – and compassion, grace and mercy – to accomplish all of this.  God is the be-all, end-all…the winner over the Evil One…and our incomparable LORD and Master.  Do you feel His power and presence in your life today?  Whether you are doing pretty well right now – or you need some “lap time,” God is ready, willing and able to meet your needs.  Will you claim Him and cling to His promises?  Don’t you think you should?


©2017 Debbie Robus

No comments: