Daily Devotional for January 10, 2017

2 Corinthians 5:17
Anyone who belongs to Christ is a new person. The past is forgotten, and everything is new.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Yesterday would have been my cousin Eddie’s 70th birthday.  I told his daughter, “This means that in a few months, I will be SIXTY!”  She replied, “I think someone has messed that up…there’s no way!”  My sweet cousin always knows how to make my day!  But the truth is that in a few short months, I will indeed have lived six decades.

I have to say, there is no way I would want to start completely over.  Like everyone, there are situations and moments that I wish I could do over.  I would love to have the energy and stamina of my youth…less wrinkles…and a slimmer body.  But overall, I am comfortable with where I am in life.  As a cousin who is a few years older than I noted recently, I have a blessed life.  And as actress Sally Field noted in her role as the matriarch of the television series “Brothers and Sisters,” I’ve earned my wrinkles…they tell the story of my life!

The GOOD NEWS is that my life story is not told by my mistakes and transgressions.  And neither is yours.  If you have given your heart to Jesus, the past truly is forgotten, and everything is new.  Over and again, Jesus stands in the gap for us…because we are not perfect, and we will never be completely free of sin.  But now we can live in the comfort and assurance of knowing that when we make every effort to follow His commands and serve as we are directed, Jesus will indeed continue to wipe the slate clean in our favor.

I don’t know about you, but I cling to this promise that “the past is forgotten, and everything is new.”  Everyone loves a fresh start…from the first day of school, to a new car or house, to even a New Year!  But the best “fresh start” of all is the one we have in Jesus Christ.  This incredible gift is not to be taken lightly…or misused.  We must make every effort to show our extreme gratitude…and to be good stewards of God’s grace through Jesus.  With this in mind, I take on the next few months - and then a new decade - full of joy and anticipation for continued blessings and the assurance of Jesus’ amazing love and care.

My wrinkles and gravity may note my physical age…but on the inside, I am a new creature in Christ Jesus.  What about you?


©2017 Debbie Robus

No comments: