Daily Devotional for January 9, 2017

1 Peter 3:13-18
Usually no one will hurt you for wanting to do good. But even if they should, you are to be envied, for God will reward you for it. Quietly trust yourself to Christ your Lord, and if anybody asks why you believe as you do, be ready to tell him, and do it in a gentle and respectful way.

Do what is right; then if men speak against you, calling you evil names, they will become ashamed of themselves for falsely accusing you when you have only done what is good. Remember, if God wants you to suffer, it is better to suffer for doing good than for doing wrong!

Christ also suffered. He died once for the sins of all us guilty sinners although he himself was innocent of any sin at any time, that he might bring us safely home to God. But though his body died, his spirit lived on...

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
    
You’ve heard the joke about “I had a drug problem…I was drug to church.”  That pretty well describes me and my siblings. We didn’t go EVERY time the church doors were open…mainly because I don’t think my parents could manage the logistics of working several jobs and getting us there on Wednesday nights. But if we missed a Sunday morning or evening service, somebody had better be on his/her deathbed! We weren’t the only kids in our church who attended that “faithfully.”  There were a few more in the same boat. And we were often labeled by others as the “goody-two-shoes” - or laughed at because we tried to abide by the lessons (and fear of burning in Hell) that were drilled into us!

There were a few sympathetic adults who tried to commiserate with us when our parents were strict…while defending them for being that way. And more than one mentor told me that someday, I would understand the benefits of my childhood “suffering” for Jesus by doing good. At the time, I thought these folks were nuts…or just feeding me a line.  But over the years, I’ve come to see that doing what is good…and right…is always best.

There have been times when I wanted to lash out…and there have been times when I did just that (and almost always regretted it later, if not immediately). But there have been times when I have managed to hold my tongue and suppress the desire to express my feelings toward someone who was unkind or unfair…and I have always been better for it.  Whether that person recognized his/her mistake or not…I knew that GOD knew.  Whether I ever get an apology or better treatment, I know that God will bless my efforts.

Many years ago, I was in a situation where some pretty unfair things happened in the workplace because of one particular person. One day, a senior supervisor and I were talking, and he noted that these things were happening. And then he said, “I’ve been watching you…and I have never heard you say one unkind thing about this person. I’ve never seen you act inappropriately or voice your disagreement…and I KNOW you had to have been extremely frustrated at times.  But it never showed…and I am truly impressed.”

I had no clue this person had been paying attention. I really thought nobody knew or cared.  To be honest, things didn’t really improve all that much after this conversation…but at least I knew that I had an ally. And I knew that God was blessing my efforts to do the right thing and contain my frustrations.

We will all be faced with opportunities to “be good” – and to yell, kick, scream and show out when others “do us wrong.”  But let’s remember Who we really need to serve – and impress.  Let’s remind ourselves Who truly matters.  More importantly, let us never forget how Jesus suffered and was ridiculed…all because of us. It’s amazing to think about…but Jesus would do all of this again for us in a heartbeat!

Now with this in mind, how can WE behave any differently toward others?  How can we acknowledge and appreciate Jesus’ gift while lashing out at others and doing the wrong things?  Isn’t it time we trust God to handle ALL things…even the words and actions of those who would criticize and mistreat us?  Are you willing to “suffer” for your faith - and demonstrate honor and glory for Jesus’ great gift of suffering for us?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2017 Debbie Robus

No comments: