Daily Devotional for January 6, 2017

1 John 2:26-27    
I’ve written to warn you about those who are trying to deceive you. But they’re no match for what is embedded deeply within you—Christ’s anointing, no less! You don’t need any of their so-called teaching. Christ’s anointing teaches you the truth on everything you need to know about yourself and him, uncontaminated by a single lie. Live deeply in what you were taught.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I don’t know how it happened…but what took us nearly 3 days to un-box and arrange to decorate the house for Christmas was all packed away in the course of one very long day.  And I will be the first to tell you that putting away the Christmas decorations is not my favorite chore!  I told Greg…“This is not nearly as fun as getting it all out and decorating!”  And that’s understandable. In late November/early December, we are anticipating the holiday season…looking forward to fun times with family and friends…hoping for lots of joy and “good will toward men!”  In January, the skies are dark and grey, the holidays are over, and saying “Good-bye” to the festive décor is more than a little bit of a let-down.

This year, I worked with determination to put things away…but there was an extra sadness in my efforts.  And then I realized why I was struggling. Many of our decorations are tied to those who are no longer with us…especially my mother. Initially, I didn’t believe that I attached that much significance to the countless ornaments that Mother has given me over the years. But as I hung them on the tree (and took them off a few weeks later), I thought of her with each one. I set out some of her infamous napkin rings in the shape of Christmas trees… the “Shoji Tabuchi Santa”…holiday books…her big nativity scene that she and my dad purchased in Mexico…and some treasured crystal ornaments. Each one evoked memories of things my mother had said, done – and taught me.

With every cup of “Russian Tea,” I thought of my mother.  With each sugar cookie, I remembered my Mam-ma Polly – and the love and care with which she baked hundreds of batches that she mostly gave to others.  With every gift the children unwrapped – or cute thing that they said during the holidays – I longed to pick up the phone and share these with Mother…to laugh and remark on how they are growing and getting smarter every day!

I did not realize as the holidays progressed how much these items were reminding me of my mother…and causing me to “live deeply in what I have been taught.”  Because for every moment when I felt a bit melancholy, I also heard her saying, “You are doing just fine. You are caring for your family and serving God – and making memories in the process.  You are creating a foundation that will carry the little ones into adulthood. You are reinforcing to all that love matters – that what is said and done is significant. You are sharing the love of Christ - with every decoration, card, cookie and cup of cocoa or hot tea – and letting others know how important they are to Him. You are saying, “Jesus is worth celebrating.”

God used this holiday season to remind me of the valuable lessons that I have been taught…and how to live deeply in them.  He showed me how important it is for me to keep on “keepin’ on”…to instill in children (our own, those at church and school) just how much Jesus loves them and what He did for them.  God reminded me of the importance of gifts – and not just the kind you wrap and place under the tree.  He showed me the importance of such blessings as a smile and kind words for clerks and fellow shoppers in the stores…a phone call or visit to check on a friend...a card or note of encouragement to someone who is in need (especially if that person is not your favorite person!) – and the warmth and comfort of a tasty loaf of banana bread or a tin of ginger snaps.  God reminded me to “live deeply in what I have been taught” about Jesus…and to pass this on to others.

There are plenty of opportunities for us to succumb to the devil…to be swayed by enemies of Jesus, which scripture likens in 1 John 2:18 to “antichrists everywhere you look.” So it is important that we live deeply in what we have been taught…and show others how to do this, too.

With each passing day, God shows up for me in even the most “routine” of events – even Christmas decorations and holiday traditions. I have no doubt that He will do this for you, also – and show YOU how to help others live deeply in His teachings – both directly, and through other people and circumstances.  Are you listening for His voice and looking for His presence?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2017 Debbie Robus 

No comments: