Daily Devotional for December 1, 2010

1 John 2:11
If we hate others, we are living and walking in the dark. We don't know where we are going, because we can't see in the dark.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Most of us are never truly in the dark these days. Something is blinking or shining somewhere – smoke alarms, radon detectors, digital clocks, LED screens on electronics of all sorts. I heard an older person say “I turn out the lights, and I’m still not in the dark!”

I can remember when I was a child and my grandparents lived “out in the country” on a dirt road with thickly wooded forest on one side of their house and open pasture on the others. When they turned out the lights at night, it was DARK! Once we got in bed for the night, we didn’t dare move, because there was no way to see where we were going!

I don’t know about you, but I’ve grown accustomed to the “darkness” of this century. I had to stop and think about what the older woman said, because it had not really occurred to me in quite some time just how dark the nights were when I was a child spending time on that farm. I really like getting up in the night and having the comforting illumination of a glow-in-the-dark nightlight and our digital alarm clocks with the bright LED numerals giving me the time.

This passage is not literally about “hating others.” It speaks to much more than that. Hating others… harboring bitterness and resentment… always walking around griping and grumbling about this, that, or the other thing… having a negative attitude… “seeing the glass half empty” rather than half full… all of these things add up to walking and living in the dark. These things create an atmosphere of confusion and bumbling around… a lack of direction… no purpose. And that should not in any way, shape or form describe the life of a true Christian.

What about you? Have you “grown with the times” in your faith walk? As you have learned more about God, studied His word, spent time communicating with Him in prayer and fellowship, have “the lights come on” in your world? Have you found a way to love those who are hard to love, to tolerate those who think differently, to find the positive in each situation… or a solution to problems?

Jesus IS the Light of the World. If He lives in and through us, there can be no darkness. How light is your world these days? Are you done with the dark? Shouldn’t you be?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: