Daily Devotional for December 28, 2010

Acts 7:49
"Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. What kind of house will you build for me? In what place will I rest?”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

If you have watched television or read a newspaper – or even gone online – in the last few days, you know that “after-Christmas sales” are everywhere. Let’s be honest… the storekeepers would rather sell their wares to us at dirt-cheap prices than keep them around to be inventoried. And… they hope they can at least get a little more money out of them, rather than store them for next year.

More than one person will take some time this week to clean out a closet and/or a few drawers. “Out with the old – in with the new,” we’ll say! As we look toward a new year, many of us will clear out some clutter and make room for the new things we got for Christmas – or purchased afterward.

This is a good time for us to clear out the “Spiritual clutter,” as well. If you are like me, there are a few old thought processes and habits that need to be tossed, making room for a renewed faith and more Godly characteristics. For me, the “clutter” in my life is a penchant for whining and complaining about things I should be handing over to God. I know I cannot fix them… and I know WHO can! So why waste a minute of my time – or the ear of those who have to listen to me – when The One who can truly do something is waiting to hear from me?!

My challenge to each of us this week is to spend a few hours clearing out some clutter – cleaning up our house (literally and spiritually) – and getting things in order. We will function better in a house that is neat and organized… and we owe it to God to create a “Spiritual house” for Him that is clutter-free and full of room for Him to dwell. What kind of “house” have you prepared? Can the Holy Spirit truly rest there? Do what you have to do to get things in order. Tie up the loose ends, clear out the junk, and make room for the new things He has in store for you! Start the New Year with a fresh attitude and clean spaces!

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: