Daily Devotional for December 9, 2010

Proverbs 12:22
The LORD hates every liar, but he is the friend of all who can be trusted.

Proverbs 19:22
What matters most is loyalty. It's better to be poor than to be a liar.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

If you have ever had to make a hard decision about being truthful, you know how gut-wrenching it can be. In your heart, you may know that covering for your boss/coach/best friend/family member would make things more pleasant. But at the same time, you know that this is not what God would have you do. And believe me, God understands that you find yourself in a pickle!

I can tell you from personal experience that choosing the truth will be the best decision. I know of a teacher who was asked to lie and say that he was certified to teach a certain course so that the school would not get into trouble with the state evaluators. He was told that to be honest would mean he would be fired. Now, I seriously doubt the principal could have really accomplished this without some more lies to trump up charges on this teacher for a “just cause” dismissal. But the threat was strong enough to scare the teacher into feeling trapped. Ultimately, the teacher chose to be honest… and find a new job in a new school district. And you know what? The teacher reports that this new job is far better than the one he left!

I know other people who have been told to do something deceptive or dishonest or be kicked off a team… or lose their job. I’ve told the truth and been cut off from a circle of “friends” and activities. I refused to go along with something dishonest when I was in high school, so my classmates blackballed my sister and didn’t elect her to participate on the sophomore service team for our prom. Then they wanted me to ask her to come to prom anyway and play the piano to accompany someone who was singing. We refused. My classmates were astonished that I would not be party to this, but it was the right thing to do, and my sister appreciated that I stood up for her.

As an adult, I’ve experienced the good and bad ends of truth and lies… and you will, too. There have been times when I have told the truth and answered honestly, and it “cost” me. People lie about all sorts of things, such as finances and physical needs/ailments in order to “play the system.” But in the end, this will catch up with them. I know there are people who even lie in order to get the church to help them… and the church does this… but GOD knows the truth, and we will have to answer to Him someday for all of this.

One of the best assets you will ever have is your honesty and moral character. Do not compromise this reputation with even the smallest “white lie.” Be poor before you will be dishonest. Be cut off from “friends” before you will lie or cheat for them. Trust that God will bless your efforts and see you through the rough times… value His friendship and approval above all else, and always be His loyal servant.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: