Daily Devotional for December 19, 2010

Leviticus 19:18
Stop being angry and don't try to take revenge. I am the LORD, and I command you to love others as much as you love yourself.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My brother was born when I was four years old. I actually remember praying for a baby brother. But as anyone who has had a younger sibling can tell you, this was just enough of an age gap that my brother became a pest to me much of the time when were younger. He knew how to push all my buttons… and my sister’s… and one Christmas, he made us both so mad that we plotted our revenge.

My mom has written a darling children’s story about this… “Bartholomew’s Christmas,” in which she substitutes a tiny field mouse and his family for that of my own. But here’s what really happened…

My brother had never had a new bicycle. My family’s household budget was like a lot of others with two parents and three kids – money was tight. So my dad would piece together parts of this bike and another and fashion something for my brother to peddle. What Tim really wanted was a brand spanking new “Stingray” bicycle. And he just knew that this particular Christmas was “it!” This was all we heard for weeks… “I’m getting a bicycle! I’m getting a bicycle.” It really annoyed my sister and me.

I’m guessing that my sister and I were 12 and 13, so Tim was about 9. My sister had asked for a wig for Christmas. I can’t remember what I had asked for, but on Christmas Eve, my grandparents gave my brother a tape recorder. He was so happy with that little machine, and when we got back home, my sister and I asked to borrow it. Of course, he naively said we could. We recorded a message for him, telling him that after our parents purchased my present and my sister’s wig, there just was not enough money to buy a bicycle for him. Better luck next Christmas!

We returned the tape recorder to my little brother and said, “We made a message for you!” The next thing we heard was heavy sobbing from my brother’s bedroom. We went into panic mode. We had not anticipated this reaction. We went to him and tried to convince him that we made it all up… that he WAS getting a bike for Christmas. But he continued to cry and would not believe us.

The next morning, we got up early… eager to see what was under the tree. My brother trudged into the kitchen as if he were headed to the gallows for hanging. My mom suggested he pull the sliding door curtain and take a peek out on the back patio. He was not enthused. Reluctantly, my sister and I began to reveal our dastardly deed… as our parents expressed great disapproval and unhappiness with us. But finally, we were able to coax my brother to the window, and once he saw the bicycle, he was back to dancing around and saying, “I knew it! I knew it!” And no other kid could have loved a bicycle as much as he loved this one.

My sister and I learned a valuable lesson that Christmas… one that haunted me for years to come. I apologized many times to my brother until his dying day. And he forgave me. But I saw the power of something as seemingly innocent as a practical joke. How often do we say or do something that we think is funny or harmless without stopping to truly consider the possible ramifications… the effect it could have on someone else? Do we think only of how much we will enjoy this… or how it might make us look “funny” or “interesting” in the eyes of others…failing to consider how the recipient of our “fun” might appear?

Where have we plotted to take matters into our own hands, forgetting that revenge is not our job? Instead of trying to handle these things ourselves, we should be opening our hands upward and saying, “This is yours, Father… do what You will with it.” At the end of the day, my sister and I were two young girls trying to play a joke on their pesky little brother. But even the smallest of acts has the potential for paving the way to larger, more costly situations.

Let’s stop ourselves now… let’s realize that even the tiniest things matter greatly. Let’s open our hands, let go and let GOD handle EVERYTHING… even little brothers and their bicycles.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: