Daily Devotional for May 12, 2011

Psalm 89:1-2
Our LORD, I will sing of your love forever. Everyone yet to be born will hear me praise your faithfulness. I will tell them, "God's love can always be trusted, and his faithfulness lasts as long as the heavens."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Lately, I have observed a great example of faithfulness and devotion… among a group of mothers who never miss a single one of their sons’ and daughters’ sporting events. I’ve watched about a half dozen mothers in particular who are always in the stands, no matter what. They travel the countryside all hours of the day and night, sit outside in all sorts of weather… and they wouldn’t think of not being there for a single minute - even if their child is warming the bench! I’m not sure if their children realize what a gift this is… or how much effort and dedication it requires… but these mothers are truly special in my book!

Things are changing for some of these moms. Their “babies” are graduating – from high school and/or college. And some of these mothers are feeling a little bittersweet – ready for a break and some rest, but also sad that this chapter of life has come to an end. One mom-turned-grandma consoled them on Facebook with assurance that in a few years, they will be like she is… back at the sporting events watching grandchildren.

Now you may be wondering why I am talking about this with relationship to these verses in the Psalms, and I’ll gladly explain. See, God is like these moms. He’s always with us. He attends every event we attend… He watches over us night and day. He travels far and wide and endures all kinds of “weather” just to be with us and support us through every event in our lives. And just like the young athletes, we often fail to recognize what a tremendous gift this is. We do not fully comprehend just how faithful God is toward us… how devoted He is to our every breath!

Scripture tells us that we can’t run far enough, climb high enough, or dig deeply enough to get away from God… He is always with us. And in my book, that is a good thing! I have to agree with the Psalmist… God’s faithfulness is worthy of my praise… and lasts as long as the heavens. When I look up into the “stands” of life, I’m grateful that God is there looking back at me… aren’t you? Are you trusting Him to support you in every endeavor? Do you sing of His unending love? God is our biggest cheerleader… our Number One Fan. Shouldn’t we be His in return?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: