Daily Devotional for May 16, 2011

James 4:7-8
Surrender to God! Resist the devil, and he will run from you. Come near to God, and he will come near to you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I was all set for an afternoon of listing antiques for sale on Etsy.com and writing devos, when I lost my Internet connection. For the next five hours, I was unable to access the world-wide web, send or receive e-mail, read blogs, and more. I found other activities to occupy the time, but I have to admit… I was frustrated and uncomfortable. It’s not that I can’t go for hours – or even days – without being online. It’s more that I felt disconnected… and frankly, I have come to rely heavily on the Internet in my daily routine.

Once the Internet service was restored, I started reading scriptures online and writing devos, and I was struck by a very profound question… “Do we feel as anxious and frustrated about a ‘disconnect’ from God?” When we feel separated – or at least distanced somewhat – from God… like we are not communicating as well as we once were… does that make us uneasy? Are we bothered at all by this?

I don’t know about you, but I have gotten to a point where I know pretty well right away when I’ve moved away from God. Notice I didn’t say when God moves away from me… because I don’t believe He ever does that. But I let other things get in the way from time to time, and I move away from Him… fail to stay in constant communication… let my “connection” drop for awhile.

Just as losing the Internet connection makes me feel a little unnerved, losing my connection with God makes me feel much the same way. Honestly, if it didn’t, I would be even more concerned. See, when we become comfortable with being distanced from God, Satan has an open door… and he is not afraid to step right in and start working. That is not something that I want to experience!

So I am using this temporary disconnect as a reminder that I must stay “online” with God. I must draw near to Him and let Him strengthen the connection between us. If I will call on God and “login” with Him, He will be ready to interact with me in a number of incredible ways. I have no intention of letting my God-connection drop… what about you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: