Daily Devotional for May 1, 2011

Proverbs 16:7
When we please the LORD, even our enemies make friends with us.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

In my book, clear-headed, rational thinking and the ability to remain calm in trying situations are God-given attributes! And my husband has them in spades. So when I am in a situation where I would tend to “fly off the handle,” I often use him as a sounding board first. And I have to admit, I have gotten better at stopping and saying a prayer… asking God to give me the right words and actions… and thinking about what advice my husband would give me, also.

A lot of times, we are called to “take the high road,” even when what we really want to do is thump a few heads. There are always going to be people who challenge our patience… who fabricate the truth to suit their own needs… and who are, for whatever reason, just a little off their rocker! But lowering yourself to their level accomplishes nothing – and it only pleases the devil.

When you know you are right… when you know you are in God’s will and pleasing Him with your decisions and your behavior… you have nothing for which to apologize. You can stand tall and proud and politely say, “We may just have to agree to disagree” – or walk away without saying anything. When you are being attacked, ask God to give you the strength and courage to smile at your attacker and keep your cool. The first year I taught school, I had a few parents and a principal who thought I was too young and dumb to know what I was doing… and they tried to make things pretty hard on me. One of my fellow teachers said repeatedly, “Just kill ‘em with kindness.” That stuck with me… it was – and is - great advice.

God knows your heart. He knows if/when you are doing the right thing… and He knows when you are being attacked, mistreated, or disrespected. If He approves of your life, nothing else matters… and neither does the opinion of anyone else. Hold your head up… take the high road… “kill ‘em with kindness” – and let God handle the rest. Your enemies may not literally end up shaking your hand, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing you did not disappoint yourself… or more importantly – your Heavenly Father. Whether you realize it or not, you will have emerged the true winner – in this life and for all Eternity!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: