Daily Devotional for April 30, 2011

Luke 12:29-32
"What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Recently I found myself involved in a discussion about a few well-known televangelists. It all started innocently when a group of people were discussing various ministries, and an acquaintance asked me about my own background. He said, “You seem to recognize many of these names. What exactly is your own story?” I explained the various denominations to which I have belonged over my lifetime and some of the Bible teachers I have found particularly helpful as I grew in my faith. I also expressed disappointment in some who seem more interested in teaching that God rewards our faith with material blessings. In other words, they teach that if you come and plant a $100 bill on the sanctuary altar, God will give you a gift worth many times that in return.

I got quite an earful from one person in the group who seemed to appreciate this philosophy and appeared very upset that I “didn’t get it!” My friends and I let him talk… somewhat because he refused to let anyone else talk! The acquaintance and I later evaluated the conversation and agreed that “works” alone won’t cut it with God. In other words, we can’t earn God’s favor, and we can’t buy His blessings.

The man asked me, “Don’t you want God to bless you?” Of course! He continued, “Do you think you might be blocking His blessings?” Sometimes… but not for the reasons he expressed. As I told my friend, I believe that we were created by God to bless others in His name… not to get fancy cars, mega-mansions, expensive jewelry and more. Some may indeed become wealthy along the way… but wealth is not the goal. However, I am afraid that it has become just that for some people and certain ministries.

We must be careful to guard our motives. God is very clear on this. Everything you have can be stripped from you in a heartbeat. God wants your needs to be met in every arena. But He does not want you to focus on what you can get or accumulate. He wants you to focus on HIM… who and how you can serve in His name… and never to miss out on even a single thing He is trying to give you.

The biggest blessings you will ever get from God will not be cars, jewels, houses, and furs… but rather the satisfaction of knowing you served others well in His name. The biggest blessings will be when someone says, “You helped me today,” or “Your words were just what I needed,” or “I was on my way down - your help couldn’t have come at a better time.” When you learn to operate in blessings and service to others, God opens the floodgates of blessings upon you.”

So chill out… work hard, but don’t make getting “stuff” your priority. Enjoy knowing that God is meeting your needs every single day… and using you to help meet the needs of others in the bargain. Make room for Him to work in and through you… and feel the blessings flow!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: