Daily Devotional for April 24, 2011

Luke 11:23
"This is war, and there is no neutral ground. If you're not on my side, you're the enemy; if you're not helping, you're making things worse.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Recently I was talking with someone about a certain situation, and this person said, “I’m going to keep doing the same thing I’ve always done… which is nothing.” It was meant as a joke at the time, but frankly, that’s what a lot of us do… and it’s not funny!

We sit on the sidelines in many situations and “let things happen,” and if we’re not helping, we really are making things worse. When we see a friend post repeatedly on Facebook about excessive drinking and passing out, and we don’t address this, we are contributing to his/her problem – possibly alcoholism… or a drunk driving situation. When we see people in desperate need, and we shake our head and say, “That’s too bad,” then move on with our life, we’re in essence saying, “I really don’t care if your life goes down the tubes.”

Don’t get me wrong… I am not saying we have a license to bash others for their choices… or to meddle, dive in or seize control. This is not a rally cry for protests at public facilities… or permission to humiliate people who practice other religions or lifestyles. That is not what this is about at all… we are not to be judge and jury! Frankly, our “Christian judgment” of others usually does far more harm than good. But we are called to model the actions of Jesus Christ, who approached others in a loving, gentle manner and showed them what HE had to offer.

In saying to someone who has a drinking problem, “I am concerned about you… how can I help?” we are modeling Christian behavior and offering the love of Jesus. In sharing our extra food, clothing, and more with those in need, we are serving in His name. In helping the elderly and infirm… helpless children in need and those who can’t help themselves… we are saying, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, who died for you and loves you beyond measure. He has called me to serve others in His name, so I am offering you love, grace and mercy on His behalf.

Today we remind ourselves that we serve a God who could not be contained in an earthly grave. Our God is so powerful, so loving and merciful that He sacrificed everything for us… even His own Son on the cross. So when He says, “Are you with me?”… how can we possibly remain neutral? In our efforts to stay out of the fracas, we are ultimately working for the enemy camp. I don’t know about you, but that’s not where I want to be. I’m willing to step up – and out – for Jesus. I’m ready to serve in His camp. Will I see you there?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: