Daily Devotional for April 9, 2011

Luke 9:1-5
Jesus now called the Twelve and gave them authority and power to deal with all the demons and cure diseases. He commissioned them to preach the news of God's kingdom and heal the sick. He said, "Don't load yourselves up with equipment. Keep it simple; you are the equipment. And no luxury inns—get a modest place and be content there until you leave. If you're not welcomed, leave town. Don't make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and move on."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Last week, I visited my grandmother at the Assisted Living Facility where she now resides. As I entered the building, I met a couple with whom I became acquainted recently at a “Family Council” meeting at the facility. This couple is struggling to cope with the challenges of caring for an elderly uncle who is a resident there. In my bag, I had tucked a copy of a book my mother wrote about her experience when my maternal grandparents were in a nursing home. I planned to share this book with the facility administrator. But when I saw this couple, I reached into the bag and pulled out the book. I handed it to the woman and said, “I have something for you that might help.” She thanked me and said, “I need all the help I can get.”

In that instant, God equipped me to minister to this person. He gave me what I needed to say, “You are important… your frustrations matter… someone else cares.” And as she reads the book, she will see that GOD cares deeply about what she is going through.

I’ve read and studied this passage in Luke dozens of times… and each time, I think I zeroed in on the last phrase, which says in some translations, “shake the dust off your feet” and move on [if people aren’t receptive to your witness]. But this time, when I read the passage, another phrase caught my eye… “Don’t load yourselves up with equipment… keep it simple… you are the equipment”!

See, when we share the Good News of Jesus Christ, we have everything we need to do this, because HE equips us! We are often presented with little moments just like the one I described… opportunities to be the hands and feet of Jesus… and all we need is what we have in that moment. God equips us with everything we need to share His love, grace, mercy, and power right then and there.

There is a time and a place for big buildings, fancy sound systems, large choirs or praise bands. These serve a purpose. Seminary degrees in Bible theology, Christian counseling, and church administration often provide churches with trained leadership. I want my doctors and nurses to have spent time studying and practicing medical procedures before they “practice” on me!

But when it comes to sharing Jesus with others… and showing them His love, grace, mercy, and power… we have everything we need already. We don’t have to drive a fancy car or live in a big, expensive home. We don’t need to dress up in designer clothing. We just have to live in such a way that others can see Jesus Christ operating within us… and we have to share the Good News with them that Jesus can do the same in their lives.

Don’t misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with dressing well, living in a nice home, or driving an expensive car. I am not speaking against church leaders or medical personnel… or saying it’s wrong to stay in a 5-star luxury hotel, if you can afford it. Beautiful church facilities can help create a worshipful atmosphere… and I love a good choir or praise band. The sound system can enhance worship – or ruin it completely. But these things don’t make you more of a Christian… or necessarily speak to the power and promises of Jesus Christ.

We have gotten so attached to our “gadgets”… our “equipment,” if you will. We can’t leave home without our phone. If we don’t check our e-mail on the hour, we feel “naked” and out of touch. For some of us, even Bible study involves an Internet connection and other electronic gadgets to assist us in locating scripture quickly, and taking notes. We feel like we can’t “witness” to others without a crutch – a reference tool… or at least some type of Bible in our hand. And “tools” have their place. But hear the words of Jesus again… “Don’t load yourselves up with equipment… keep it simple… you are the equipment”!

Trust God to give you all you need to reach others in His name… then “shake the dust from your feet” and move forward. Trust Him to work in even the most difficult – or ordinary – situations… and keep using the equipment He gives you to share the Good News with others.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: