Luke 12:11-12
"When they drag you into their meeting places, or into police courts and before judges, don't worry about defending yourselves—what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there. The Holy Spirit will give you the right words when the time comes."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Recently I dropped my sister off for work, and as I sat in the parking lot, a woman I’ve known since high school approached my car. She said, “I don’t know if I ever told you, but the card you sent me when my dad died meant more to me than just about any card I received. You said all the right things.” I thanked her for sharing that with me. I cannot begin to tell you what I said in that card, but I’m glad to know it was what she needed to hear at the time.

Years ago, I wrote a book called What to Say and Do… When You Don’t Know What to Say and Do. I wrote this book after experiencing the death of several family members and friends and hearing people say over and over, “I just didn’t know what to say.” Often, their solution was to say and do nothing… and the silence was in some ways more hurtful than if they had said the wrong thing.

My own experiences caused me to pay closer attention to making sure I did not fall into this pattern myself. I began to make more of an effort to send cards and notes to people... cards expressing sympathy, get-well wishes, and even cards of encouragement and thanks. But more importantly, I started really praying about what I said before I wrote the note. And just like the woman who thanked me for the card when her dad passed away, others have told me, “Your words meant so much.”

The truth is… they were not my words. I always ask God to tell me the right things to say in cards. I wish I were better at making sure I ask God to tell me the right things to say before I speak, but I’m afraid my mouth often still engages before my brain does. And once words are spoken, they can be very hard to retract!

Do not miss this… the Holy Spirit will give you the right words when the time comes. He is always ready… his words are always perfect. But we have to ask Him for help. We have to stop and say, “LORD… guide my words. Let me say what you want me to say… the things that will be pleasing to you and helpful to this person. Give me the right answers… the kind words… the best solutions to offer in this situation.” And He will do just that!

I’ve come to understand that the fear of saying the wrong thing is just another tool of the devil. This is just one more way he wants to squelch us and keep us from truly living for Jesus and serving as His disciple. And I am not willing to let him have that kind of satisfaction… are you? Ask God for help in choosing your words… then don’t be afraid to step out and speak up in His name. The Holy Spirit will give you the right words when the time comes.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: