Daily Devotional for April 14, 2011

Psalm 71:17-18
You got me when I was an unformed youth, God, and taught me everything I know. Now I'm telling the world your wonders; I'll keep at it until I'm old and gray. God, don't walk off and leave me until I get out the news of your strong right arm to this world, news of your power to the world yet to come, Your famous and righteous ways, O God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I have laughingly remarked more than once that I know a few older folks who run circles around me on a daily basis. They have more zip than the Energizer Bunny, and by the time I get up, many of them have accomplished a day’s worth of work! But I also hear older people say, “You’re still young… I just can’t do what I used to any more.” And I get that. When I taught kindergarten in my 20s, I could get up and down out of the floor all day long without a second thought. Now, every time I get in the floor with Timothy, the ache in my knees when I stand reminds me that I’m no longer 20-something.

But this doesn’t mean that I can’t do things with my little nephew… or that older Christians cannot continue to serve. It just means that there truly is a “time for every season,” as we read in Ecclesiastes… and we may have to shift our attitude and our focus to fit each stage of life. The question is… are we meeting the challenge and doing all we are capable of doing in each “season”?

See, when we are young and able-bodied, God may be calling us to work with children, do physical labor like yard work for the elderly or simple carpentry and repairs. He may be asking us to drive a route for Meals on Wheels or deliver older adults to medical and shopping appointments and more. As we age, God may shift us to more of a stationary role… prayer warrior, someone who makes phone calls to check on others or sends cards of encouragement and concern. He may want you to use your workplace or your position in the community to share His message with others… and when you are older – possibly retired – He may use you in new and different ways. My 98-year-old grandmother lives in an apartment at an assisted living facility… and she walks across the street to visit nursing home residents.

The bottom line is this… we are never too young or too old to serve God. He will never “shove us on a shelf” and declare us of no use. OUR job is to figure out how and where He wants us to serve… then get busy doing just that! Do you know what He’s calling you to do in this season of your life? Are you getting out the news as He wishes?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: