Daily Devotional for April 12, 2011

Psalm 63:1-8
You are my God. I worship you. In my heart, I long for you, as I would long for a stream in a scorching desert. I have seen your power and your glory in the place of worship. Your love means more than life to me, and I praise you. As long as I live, I will pray to you. I will sing joyful praises and be filled with excitement like a guest at a banquet.

I think about you before I go to sleep, and my thoughts turn to you during the night. You have helped me, and I sing happy songs in the shadow of your wings. I stay close to you, and your powerful arm supports me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Death is a fact of life. And the older I get, the more funerals I seem to be attending. Many of the friends and relatives in my grandparents’ age group are gone now… along with most of the folks in my childhood neighborhood, who were “satellite grandparents” to me and my siblings. Now, people in my parents’ circle of friends are beginning to decline – and go to heaven. It’s not really a sad time… more bittersweet… because I know they are receiving a great reward for their faithfulness on this earth, and they are happy in the face-to-face company of Jesus and those who went before them.

But all the same, there is some understandable sadness for those who are left behind, because these people are missed. God understands this… and He blesses us with memories… moments to reflect on our time with these people… and hopefully a time to laugh and smile as we think about what they meant to us and events we shared.

And so it is with a man named Dickie… a friend of my parents… the son of my childhood neighbor, Mary… who passed away recently. My personal association with Dickie goes back to a time when I was probably ten or eleven years old. Every Sunday morning in the summer, Dickie would come to our house around 8:00 and pick me up, and we would drive to DamSite Park, where he and I conducted a “lakeside worship” service for campers and visitors to our area. Dickie would unpack an old blue box “pump organ” from the trunk of his car and set it up for me. I would pass out hymnals and brochures about our church. We would sing a couple of hymns while I played the organ – “Blessed Assurance” was a favorite! – and then Dickie would read Scripture and deliver a few words. It was all over in time for us to get home and dress for our own Sunday-school and church services.

I don’t know how many years we did this… but I was thinking that Dickie was probably in his forties then. I wondered how many 40-something men would be so faithful and committed these days. For as long as I can remember, Dickie has been a faithful servant of his church and his LORD… until Alzheimer’s rendered him unable to be active in recent months.

Lest you think Dickie had a cushy life that made serving God easy, let me set things straight. Dickie lost his only son, Steve, to cancer in the 1980s after a long, gut-wrenching battle and dozens of experimental treatments. He suffered more than one bout with Bell’s Palsy, a weakness and paralysis of the facial muscles. Then he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. But he kept going.

He traveled with his wife and their friends… often in an RV caravan… across the country and back – frequently visiting places out West… Arizona, California, and even Alaska. He and his wife participated in “car shows” – showcasing Steve’s prized Shelby and other Mustangs that Dickie restored. And Dickie served in many capacities in his home church, including substituting as a Sunday-school teacher for a men’s class when the regular teacher would be away… sometimes for months at a time.

When I think of my friend Dickie, I think of a man of great integrity and faith… someone who paid attention to details… whether on the car he was restoring, the gas heating unit he was installing or repairing in his propane business, or the materials he carried to a campground pavilion each Sunday to bring the Good News to weekend visitors. I think of someone who knew the power and glory of God… that no matter what he endured on this earth, this God would reward him well in heaven… someone who shared his faith and trust in God with others.

Today, I celebrate the faithful service of my friend Dickie… and I recognize God’s love and strength through his model of Christian service. We would do well to look around at the shining examples among us of those who rest in God and realize their salvation comes from him. We can learn much from people like Dickie. Look around for your own models of faith and service… those who dance and praise God in the shadow of His wings. We should strive to be more like them. We, too, must stay close to God and lean on His arms for support… until He calls us home for our own reward.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: