Daily Devotional for May 22, 2011

Proverbs 20:3
It makes you look good when you avoid a fight -- only fools love to quarrel.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Do you know someone who comes in the door trying to pick a fight? It’s really hard to even have a conversation with this person, because he/she takes everything you say the wrong way – or there is potential for this to happen. Those who love to quarrel often have a way of drawing you into their argument before you even realize what is happening.

Pretty soon, you notice that people are avoiding this person altogether, because it’s easier than risking getting into an argument… and the person who loves to argue starts to look rather foolish and sad.

Often we do find ourselves drawn into an argument before we realize what is happening. So the challenge is to stay on guard and to hold our tongue… to think before we speak, and to choose our words carefully. We’ve all heard the recommendation to “count to ten” before we speak in these situations. Just recently I read an article by an expert who suggested we needed to count longer – maybe even to 100! I’m not sure that is necessary, but give yourself a few seconds to collect your thoughts and calm your nerves… and quietly ask God to give you the right things to say and a loving demeanor.

I have not always chosen my words carefully in these situations… and regretfully, I’ve come off looking as foolish as the other guy. I have to tell you, there is a lot of satisfaction in knowing you walked away from a quarrel without losing your cool. In those situations, I am very quick to thank God… because I know I could never do that under my own steam.

I pray that we would all learn to control our emotions… and our words… as we grow in our walk with God. I pray that we would learn to stop more often and count to ten… or twenty or thirty… and give ourselves time to ask God for His strength and wisdom. I pray that we would “take the high road” and walk away with our integrity… claws retracted and reputation intact! I pray that God would work in each of us to develop this ability more thoroughly… and may your arguments and quarrels become less frequent… and far less foolish.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: