Daily Devotional for February 21, 2012

Ephesians 3:14-19
My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My cousin shared this sweet story with me recently:
    A Sunday School teacher decided to have her young class memorize one of the most quoted passages in the Bible - Psalm 23. She gave the youngsters a month to learn the chapter. Little Rick was excited about the task - but he just couldn't remember the Psalm. After much practice, he could barely get past the first line.

    On the day that the kids were scheduled to recite Psalm 23 in front of the congregation, Ricky was so nervous. When it was his turn, he stepped up to the microphone and said proudly,  "The Lord is my Shepherd, and that's all I need to know."
When I read this joke, I was reminded of my friend – and former pastor – John Miles, II, who used so say very much the same thing. If you can’t remember any other scripture passage, remember Psalm 23:1. When we embrace all that this scripture promises… when we truly live in the confidence and power of these words, we can truly… ”Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God.”

I challenge you to start to live in the fullness and strength of Psalm 23:1. I pray that you will thank God for all that He promises in this passage… and live as if you really believe He will supply all of your needs. “The LORD is my Shepherd… I shall not want.” Can you say the same? Embrace all that God offers you, and live in the power of His blessings and glory. The LORD is our Shepherd…what more could we possibly desire?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: