Daily Devotional for February 28, 2012

Romans 12:4-6
In this way we are like the various parts of a human body. Each part gets its meaning from the body as a whole, not the other way around. The body we're talking about is Christ's body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we? So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body, let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Today, for the second time in less than a year, I will attend the burial service of a dear relative or friend who was “like family.” Both died too young – neither living to their mid-fifties. Both were Christians… and I’m sure they rest safely in Jesus’ arms today. But both left unfinished business on this earth. And while we all do this, to some degree… some leave more than others.

Like my loved ones, you may be separated from others you love – who love you – for a variety of reasons. These reasons may make perfect sense to you… and to some of those around you… but some of the motivations seem so long ago and convoluted that you honestly can’t even explain how or why the separation happened. Some have distanced themselves from others over petty and selfish events… hurtful words…or pure laziness that kept both parties from making the effort to maintain the relationship.

Think about your own life. Who was a big part of your world at one time who is now completely off your radar screen… and why? Facebook has helped me to reconnect with a lot of people from my high school and college years… to rekindle friendships with people I had simply not remained in contact in decades… and understandably. Our lives went in different directions. There was a friendship there… but probably not a deep connection or bond.

On the other hand, I have cousins and other relatives - people who were truly important in my life - with whom I have not spoken in months… or years. I am ashamed to say, “So-and-So was a huge part of my childhood… and I’ve not spoken to him/her in a decade.” It’s embarrassing to tell someone, “She is ‘like family’ to me… but I’ve not seen her in years.” What does this say about me as a part of Christ’s body? It’s as if I said, “Oh, I’ll be the earlobe… that way, how I behave or serve is not all that important in the scheme of things.” Let me ask you… if you saw someone and one of their earlobes was missing, don’t you think you would notice?

Every one of us is vital to the body of Christ. That means that the person we have not seen or spoken to - for whatever reason – is equally important… and we all need to function together as one body. I encourage you to search your heart today and think about the people who have been such an integral part of making you who you are today. Who in that group have you neglected? Who in that group have you distanced yourself from… even with “good” reason? As a part of the body of Christ, isn’t it time you reached out and at least attempted to reconnect?

In my own case with my two loved ones now gone, I made the effort with one of them – although it was not reciprocated. But I knew that this person knew how much I cared. In the other case, I could have done more… and this is a good lesson for me. There doesn’t have to be reconciliation… and there very well may not be… but a note to let this person know you still love them and care could begin the healing process. I’ll be sending some notes and e-mails… maybe making a phone call or two… and starting the process of reconnecting with the body of Christ and becoming a fully functioning part of His ministry. Will you do the same?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: