Daily Devotional for February 22, 2012

Romans 8:26-28
In certain ways we are weak, but the Spirit is here to help us. For example, when we don't know what to pray for, the Spirit prays for us in ways that cannot be put into words. All of our thoughts are known to God. He can understand what is in the mind of the Spirit, as the Spirit prays for God's people. We know that God is always at work for the good of everyone who loves him. They are the ones God has chosen for his purpose...

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

It’s getting progressively harder for my grandmother to talk. The words she wants to use do not come… nor do her thoughts. Often, when she is trying to tell me something, I do a lot of guessing… or she uses hand gestures that mean something to me, and I know what she is trying to say. When we are with others and she wants to say something, she will often end up waving her hand and saying, “Debbie will tell you.” I’ve come to know her so well that quite frequently I can do a fairly good job of understanding what is in her mind and putting it into words for others.

This is what the Holy Spirit often does for us. He knows our heart… our innermost thoughts… desires… needs… and He can convey them to God when we cannot seem to find the words. We often think of Romans 8:28 as a justification of God’s will, or an explanation of failures… “all things work together for the good”. But actually, this passage refers to all forms of communication with God – all forms of prayer - working together for the good that God desires for us. Whether we are talking to him directly, speaking in tongues, singing praises, or allowing the Holy Spirit to speak for us… all forms of prayerful communication work together to accomplish God’s will.

Just because my grandmother cannot always verbalize what she is thinking or needing doesn’t mean we cannot communicate. For several years following a stroke that claimed her mother’s speech, my dear friend “talked” with her mom via a system of pointing to letters of the alphabet to spell things. Helen Keller was deaf and blind, but she was able to communicate with others via human touch. And we can use a variety of methods to communicate clearly with God every minute of the day. The key is to recognize that there are many ways to speak with God, and even when we can’t seem to find the right words to express our thoughts and feelings, He still hears us.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding what my grandmother is telling me… and often we both get frustrated before I figure out what she is saying – or we both give up and move on to something else. But that never happens with God. He always knows exactly what we are saying… His responses are given in love, timely, and perfect. He never gives up or grows weary… and He weaves everything we communicate to Him together to give us the best possible outcome.

I am glad that God hears me in so many ways. I am glad that when I can’t express myself, the Holy Spirit takes over for me. Doesn’t it give you hope, peace, and comfort to know that all you have to say is, “Here I am, LORD… I need you…” and He does the rest? Do you have the power of the Holy Spirit working in your heart – and on your behalf? Do you have all forms of prayer working together for the good in your life? Isn’t today a good time to begin to utilize them?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: