Daily Devotional for February 27, 2012

Mark 3:10
After Jesus had healed many people, the other sick people begged him to let them touch him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

In my daily devotional book, God Calling, the commentary for today was about touch… not just hearing from God or speaking to Him, but sitting still and feeling His presence – His touch. As if this were not inspiration enough, I opened a magazine, and the first article I turned to was about the healing effects of - you guessed it - touch! If this isn’t a clear sign that I am supposed to address the subject of touch today, I don’t know what is!

Over and again in scripture, we read about touch… a touch from God… the healing touch of Jesus… the woman who said (paraphrased), “If only I could touch the hem of His garment.” We hear Jesus feel the healing power leave his body and ask, “Who touched my clothing?” Touch is powerful! And just as I read in my devotional book today, we need to stop and rest in the moment and truly experience God’s touch.

The article I read suggested that the touch of another could lower blood pressure, facilitate physical healing, and soothe the soul. Even snuggling into a warm bathrobe or cupping a steaming mug of coffee or tea can elicit calm and a sense of well-being as your skin comes into contact with something soothing and warm. Stroking a devoted pet can make everything better. And the touch of God Almighty can truly heal and restore you in every area of life.

My husband and I used to have a farm house with a big front porch. Even on cold nights, I would sit there in a chair or swing… bundled in a warm bathrobe with a cup of hot tea to warm my hands… and I would talk to God. I would feel the warmth and comfort of His presence… like big arms wrapped around me. This was my sanctuary – my healing place – and God touched me there. I’ll be honest… I need to find a new sanctuary and rekindle that kind of daily “touch” from God… and maybe you do, as well. Make this the week you begin to find time each day to receive a touch from God… and to look for opportunities to offer a touch to someone else.

In the magazine article I read, there was a story from a 27-year-old single woman who attended church, and one Sunday the pastor said, “When you share God’s peace with others, reach over and touch somebody. Some people in here have not been touched all week.” She thought to herself that it was sad that there must be a lot of older people in the service who needed this touch. Then it hit her – SHE was one of those people! Are you one of those people who need a touch – from God and/or others? Have you made yourself available to God? Have you “stilled” yourself long enough for Him to touch you in whatever manner you need? Who do you need to reach out and touch this week with God’s love?

Make this the week that you beg to touch the hem of Jesus’ garment. Make this the week that you begin to experience the blessings that result from the touch of God. Find your sanctuary and spend time in His presence… then pass on the blessings to others. Feel them multiply exponentially as you experience – and share - the healing power of God’s touch.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: