Daily Devotional for February 3, 2012

2 Corinthians 4:16
So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I don’t know about you, but I have had a few life experiences that left me feeling as if things were falling apart on me. It was hard to say goodbye to loved ones… to bury my pets… to let our little Timothy go home after spending so much time with us. I was frustrated when I broke my ankle and had to spend three months sitting on the couch, asking for help with everything – even a shower! I was deeply disappointed when I truly believed I was in line for a new job… then I wasn’t selected. I’ve felt the sting of conceding that “enough is enough” and letting go of toxic relationships and unhealthy habits. There have been times when I spent a few days or longer merely going through the motions of getting through the day… and I bet you have been there, too!

I don’t like to compare myself to others. I believe God wants us to examine our own lives and consider how we stack up to His desires and expectations for us. However, in this instance, I think we should momentarily make an exception. If we look around, we can see examples in every life situation of people who are handling similar experiences… or far worse. We may grieve for loved ones who now live in Heaven, but that is nothing compared to those who grieve for loved ones who never professed to know Jesus. We may have lost a beloved pet… others have lost a child – or several children. We may not get the new job… others don’t have a job in the first place. We may have broken a bone or two - or suffered a temporary, treatable illness… others face a lifelong, chronic condition or an incurable disease.

We may have setbacks in relationships, challenges in the workplace and at school, or face a temporary separation from someone we love… others face complete estrangement from their families and friends, do not have the opportunity to work or study, or experience permanent banishment from their loved ones.

And if that isn’t enough… consider all that Jesus suffered - entirely on our behalf - and everything that is promised because of His suffering. No matter what we are facing… however difficult, sad, or disappointing life may seem today… we cannot wallow in self-pity. We must look to the cross, and beyond, and realize that even on our worst day, God is blessing us and equipping us in ways we can’t begin to imagine. We must realize that our hearts are not breaking – at least not in the way we think. While we feel like our heart is bursting open and everything is falling apart, God is at work… filling us with love, grace and new mercies – and mending our hearts in a way that strengthens us for another day.

I could cite countless examples of people who have lived with hope and courage in spite of incredible, seemingly impossible challenges and roadblocks. I could tell you about many persons I know who have endured one tragedy after another with a positive spirit that seems incredulous. I am guessing you could make your own list of inspiring individuals. Instead, I want to encourage you to work on adding your name to that list. Open your heart to all that God wants to give you… acknowledge that He is working behind the scenes and healing you in ways you can’t begin to fully understand. Live with hope and courage that a better day is coming… lavish celebrations are on the way… and God is making a new life for each of us.

When challenges come – and they will! – don’t allow them to completely sap your faith and courage. You may suffer a momentary setback. Grief and sadness - for a season - is perfectly normal. But ultimately, remember Who is at work in your heart - storing up blessings to last forever. Never give up. Examine the depths of your heart and see how God is working… and live from this abundance. There truly is far more here than meets the eye. What has God placed in your heart today?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: