Daily Devotional for July 1, 2014

Psalm 46:8-10
Attention, all! See the marvels of God!
    He plants flowers and trees all over the earth,
Bans war from pole to pole,
    breaks all the weapons across his knee.
“Step out of the traffic! Take a long,
    loving look at me, your High God,
    above politics, above everything.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I cannot begin to tell you how weary I am of political ads…and political and “personal opinion” comments and postings on social media.  Occasionally I will agree with a post, if I feel strongly about it.  I have tried to reserve any disagreement for private messaging and personal interaction with the other party.  I know these sorts of comments and posts have caused me to “unfriend” a few people in order to disassociate with what I consider to be vile rants or opinions.  And I know that some have “unfriended” me because they feel I am too liberal or disagree otherwise with my thoughts.  Or maybe they just don’t like me!

The point is…none of this really important.  Life is not about social media – or the opinions of others, for that matter.  What truly is significant is our relationship with God…what He thinks of us – and what we feel for Him.  The time has come for us to step back…take a deep breath, and “Be still and know”.

“Be still and know”…

  • who God really is
  • what God expects of us
  • what God thinks about situations vs man’s ideas and opinions
  • the power of God to “make a way” where none seems possible
  • the infinite, amazing, all-encompassing capacity of God to love us, no matter what
“Be still and know” the God who is far more than politics, people, and the propaganda of social media.  Rest in His love and care…relax as He guides your steps…renew in His amazing restorative powers.  Discover – maybe even for the first time – just how important – and comforting - a relationship with God is.  Take a break from the “noise” of the rest of the world to discover the peace, joy, and rest of giving Him your undivided, unending attention.

Step out of the traffic!  Take a long, loving look at God and ask yourself whether you are giving Him your full attention…or listening to outside influences.  “Be still and know” the One who truly matters!


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: