Daily Devotional for July 10, 2014

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is kind and patient,
never jealous, boastful,
    proud, or rude.
Love isn’t selfish
    or quick tempered.
It doesn’t keep a record
    of wrongs that others do.
Love rejoices in the truth,
    but not in evil.
Love is always supportive,
loyal, hopeful,
    and trusting.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We’ve heard this passage so many times.  The pastor read it during our wedding ceremony when Greg and I married.  Many people know at least some of the verses by heart.

“Love is kind and patient”…or is it?  We say we love one another…but if love is patient and kind, how many of us can honestly claim these traits?  Love is “never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude”…you still there?  “Love isn’t selfish or quick tempered”…wanna jump off the bandwagon?

“Love “doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do.”  How many of you did I just lose?  How many of us aren’t just a little bit pleased when something bad happens to someone we’re not particularly fond of…who among us “is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting”?

And yet, what if Jesus failed to do any one of these things for us?  Many of us would turn our backs on Him in a heartbeat!  We expect Him to love us…always and in all ways.  But when it’s time for us to do the same as His disciples, we simply cannot…or will not.

We really should stop giving lip service to this passage.  We should quit framing copies of it to hang on our walls, posting beautiful photographs with portions of the verse superimposed across the bottom…and using it to express our affection toward our beloveds…until we can fully embrace and enact what it says.  I can tell you that I, for one, have a lot of work to do in this area!

There are people who rub me the wrong way…those whom I find “hard to love”…some who irritate, anger or upset me with everything from their treatment of others to what I consider to be their ridiculous political and social ideas and opinions.  I judge.  I keep score.  I am so disgusted with some that I can barely be in their presence…much less show them support or loyalty.  And trust them?  Forget it!

But here’s this passage in God’s word…clearly outlining what love is…and I’m not always all of these things toward all of God’s children.  But I’m working on it…and with God’s help (and by His grace), I can do better.  I am not foolish enough to think I will ever master this completely and love everyone unconditionally – or without judgments and hesitation. I most certainly will remain guarded toward certain people who have demonstrated a poor track record for trustworthiness.  But I can do better…I must love better.  What about you?

©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: