Daily Devotional for July 31, 2014

1 John 1:8-10
If we claim that we’re free of sin, we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins—make a clean breast of them—he won’t let us down; he’ll be true to himself. He’ll forgive our sins and purge us of all wrongdoing. If we claim that we’ve never sinned, we out-and-out contradict God—make a liar out of him. A claim like that only shows off our ignorance of God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

At the start of the summer, my friend Melissa telephoned me one night with a dilemma.  Her son Ladd’s baseball pants had just arrived...and they were far too big.  I think this was maybe a Tuesday night – and his first game was on Friday. “Do you think there is any way you could take them up for us?” she asked.  I told her that I would be glad to take a look and see what I could do, and she and Ladd came over and brought his two baseball uniforms.  These pants were more than just a little too big...and as I contemplated how to fix them – or IF I could fix them, 8-year-old Ladd said, “It’s okay.  I’ll just wear them like this.  They’re not really that bad.”

The pants really were “that bad”...particularly one pair. They were too long, and the seat hung nearly to his knees.  I made some temporary adjustments and let Ladd try them on to see if I was getting anywhere, and his little face just “lit up” when he saw how much better the pants were fitting.  Melissa said, “We hated to ask you to do this, but we didn’t know who else to call.”  I told her that I would have been insulted if she had NOT called me.  I’m not a professional seamstress, but God blessed me with a grandmother and mother who taught me to sew, and I am able to do a fairly decent job of it.  The thought that my little friend would have played baseball all summer in those baggy, uncomfortable pants tugged at my heartstrings.  I was thrilled to be able to come to his rescue.

Have you ever tried to help someone who you knew was in need...and this person would not let you?  It was clearly evident that the person required help...an elderly man or woman who needed a ride to the store or to a doctor visit...someone who was sick and refused to let you even bring over a meal, much less do anything for them inside their house...or even a friend or classmate who could use a ride to school, work, or church.  When people like this say, “I’m okay...I don’t need anything” – and you know better - it’s enough to make you crazy...right?

Even worse is when you learn later that the person you tried to help has told someone either that “I managed all on my own”...or uttered the ultimate insult...”No one cared enough to help me!”  This may make you feel misunderstood – as if you offered to help with ulterior motives or hopes of “glory” and recognition, when you truly were just trying to offer support or service.  You may feel insulted...because in essence, the person in need has just called you a “liar” as he/she discounted your offers of love and assistance.  You would have gladly come to their aid any way you could...and asked nothing in return.  And now, you’ve not only been deprived of this opportunity...you have been somewhat disrespected in the bargain.

Now think about God and how we treat Him.  He stands ready to help us...to lift us up and tackle our burdens.  He knows our needs even better than we do...yet we pretend that we don’t need Him to help us with anything.  We claim we are “doing okay”...that if we have committed any sins, they really weren’t that bad...and we relegate God to a back room for when things really go wrong.  We like to say that we are humble, but in truth, our inability to acknowledge God’s grace and mercy and accept His help and forgiveness – and often that of our friends and neighbors – is nothing more than arrogance and/or pride – which are both sins in themselves.

If you are one of those people who cannot accept help from others, get over yourself.  Quit robbing them of the blessing of serving you in Jesus’ name.  If you have claimed to be sinless...or you have failed to give God credit for His grace, mercy and forgiveness in your life, it’s time you got busy figuring out who He really is – and getting better acquainted!

When I delivered Ladd’s pants to him the day of his first game, he was over-the-moon thrilled with the results.  But he was not any happier than I was.  To see him so relieved and confident made my heart swell.  Too often, we don’t think about how we deprive God of opportunities to be delighted and pleased with us.  All He wants is for us to turn to Him...to ask for His help...and to accept His grace and mercy.  What He pours out on us in return is truly astonishing...and totally undeserved...but incredibly comforting nonetheless.  Won’t you allow God – and others – to help you?  Aren’t you ready to come clean and move forward?  Will today be the day you begin?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: