Daily Devotional for July 30, 2014

1 Corinthians 13:3-10
If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Only a precious friend...and a “sister in Christ” like my dear cousin Natalie...could truly understand how I worry about certain people and situations. For my birthday, she presented me with a leather bracelet that is tooled with this inscription, “only love today”.  I am to wear it to remind me of God’s love for me – and for those people and circumstances over which I fret and stew - but cannot control.  I’m not supposed to handle these things.  I am supposed to remember that God’s got this!

So I’m wearing the bracelet...and looking at its words often throughout the day.  I am reminded of tremendous love...the complete, all-encompassing, unselfish, unconditional and perfect love that God provides...and that of a beautiful, Godly cousin who totally “gets” me – and loves me anyway!  I am reminded of all of the things in this scripture passage...and the power, grace and mercy of God’s love for me – and through me toward others.

You may not struggle so much with worry over situations and people.  You may battle other issues...proper expression of your thoughts and feelings, gossip, jealousy, insecurities, depression, discord or judgment... or something else completely.  It doesn’t matter what your challenge is...God’s love can cover it. He can graciously and mercifully wrap His arms around you and handle whatever causes you discomfort or distress.  And because of His love...you can “pay it forward” to others.

Here’s your phrase to remember... “only love today”.  Even if you don’t wear a leather bracelet inscribed with these words, you can remind yourself throughout the day that God truly IS love.  You can vow to operate ONLY in His love today, and always.  So let’s do this thing!  Let’s fill our “bank accounts” with God’s love and keep it going.  Are you in?  Ready, set, GO!


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: