Daily Devotional for July 24, 2014

Ephesians 2:1-6
It wasn’t so long ago that you were mired in that old stagnant life of sin. You let the world, which doesn’t know the first thing about living, tell you how to live. You filled your lungs with polluted unbelief, and then exhaled disobedience. We all did it, all of us doing what we felt like doing, when we felt like doing it, all of us in the same boat. It’s a wonder God didn’t lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on his own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I recently saw someone from a distance, and for a split second, I thought this person was someone I knew...a pastor friend who moved away several years ago.  I began to think about how much I miss this friend...how important his support and nurture was to my spiritual growth.  I still speak with him occasionally via e-mail, but there are times when I wish we could have one of our long heart-to-heart talks.  There have been times in the last several years when I would have given anything if he had been here to advise me in person.

As I thought of my friend, I very clearly received this message...”If he had been here, you would have depended upon him instead of Me.  You might not have grown as much in your faith.”  Sometimes, I think God makes us go through some hard times...to “tough it out” (so to speak) in certain circumstances...so that we depend more on Him than we do on mere mortals.  It’s not that my friend would not have given me excellent, Godly advice.  But I needed to be somewhat alone, isolated and vulnerable.  I needed to realize that all I had...and all I needed...was God – that HE could handle things for me, and that I had to trust Him to do so.

I am not the same person I once was...and you probably are not either.  I am still a sinner, but I am not mired in the stagnant life of sin.  More importantly, I am knee-deep or more in faith and trust in God...for everything.  I’ve seen His grace in action.  I’ve felt His mercy on more than one occasion.  I am immersed in His love and have physical evidence of His miracles and power.  And He did this for me all on His own, without human assistance or interference! 

I don’t know where you are on your faith walk.  I hope you have Godly friends and disciples to whom you can turn when things are tough. But I also hope you know that you are truly NEVER alone when you give your heart to Jesus.  Our gracious, merciful, loving Heavenly Father is always, always available to us...always working on our behalf...and capable of handling anything and everything we throw at Him! 

Sometimes, we need to bask in the unadulterated grace, mercy, compassion, power and love of God.  We need to peel back the layers and “go it alone” with Him...and trust that He truly is enough!  We say that we believe that Jesus is all we need...and He is!  Now it’s time to act like it! 


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: