Daily Devotional for July 4, 2014

Psalm 94:12-15
How blessed the man you train, God,
    the woman you instruct in your Word,
Providing a circle of quiet within the clamor of evil,
    while a jail is being built for the wicked.
God will never walk away from his people,
    never desert his precious people.
Rest assured that justice is on its way
    and every good heart put right.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

For more than a decade, I served as my paternal grandmother’s primary caregiver/guardian.  I handled her business affairs, paid her bills, balanced her checkbook, ran her errands, and more.  As my late friend Mich (a gerontologist) often reminded me, there was a whole lot more that went into “caregiving” than paperwork and running errands.  For some of her later years, Greg and I were also the frequent caregivers for my little great-nephew, Timothy.  So we became members of the “Sandwich Generation”…those who balance the care of younger persons and older persons – and try to maintain some semblance of a “normal” life in between.

Today, I am 57 years old…and I feel like I have learned a lot in more than five decades…about life in general – but more importantly, about God’s love and care. There is no “manual” for a lot of what happens to us in life.  We can seek the counsel of others who have “been there, done that”…but there are a lot of times when we have to seemingly “fly by the seat of our pants”. 

I distinctly remember one day when I left my grandmother’s house feeling particularly frustrated, confused and overwhelmed.  I pulled into a parking space at the grocery store and thought, “Who can I call or talk to about this?  Who will understand and be able to help me figure out what to do next?”  I drew a complete blank.  So I sat in the car and asked God to show me what to do.  And the next thought I had was, “What would *I* tell someone else who was going through this same thing?” 

This was my answer.  I asked God to show me how to sort things out…to calm my fears and frustrations and to clearly outline what I would indeed suggest to someone else.  And He did all of this for me.  This was not the last time I would have to have this sort of “conversation”…and I am sure there will be many to follow.

In the last few years, I have learned some incredibly valuable lessons.  If you are a younger person reading this message, maybe I can spare you some time, confusion and frustration by sharing my “life lesson” here.  The words of this scripture passage are incredibly profound.  Think of the water circling a bath tub drain.  It spirals downward – and sometimes even makes a loud sucking noise as the liquid is pulled from the tub and into the tiny pipe.  That is just how we feel sometimes as the “clamor of evil” and the forces of troubles and challenges in our lives pull at us from every side.  Our temptation is to panic…to throw up our hands and just let the noisy current haul us away.  And if we aren’t careful, this is exactly what can happen!

But God stands ready to rescue us.  He provides a “circle of quiet” that can keep us calm, even as our very lives seem to be “spiraling toward the drain”.  He will never desert us…God will never allow us to face more than we can handle with His help.  Notice I did not say that we would only be allowed what we can handle by ourselves.  But with God to walk alongside us, our strength and capacity to manage things we thought were impossible increases exponentially.  And God always has the right answers.

I honestly do not know how people get through life without a relationship with God and His Holy Spirit.  I cannot imagine how lonely and frustrating life must be for those who are totally dependent on their own thoughts and abilities…and those of other mere mortals.  Don’t misunderstand me.  God has sent a lot of wonderful mentors and role models my way…friends to whom I frequently turn for advice and “vent”.  God gave me an amazing, incredible husband who stands ever ready to help me with anything and everything.  I rely on these people greatly.  But they are God-ordained…Heaven sent…and this makes all the difference!

I passed the street on which my grandmother used to live today, and for a fleeting moment, I thought “I should go and visit Mam-ma Polly.”  Then I remembered that Mam-ma lives with Jesus now.  But God still uses her frequently to remind me of past lessons…and to show me which direction to take.  I see His hand in my life every day – in situations large and small.  And as I have grown in my faith and experiences, I have gotten better at recognizing Him! 

My prayer for you today is that you would be in tune with God…that He would be your “go-to-Guy”…and that you would realize it!  I pray that you rest in the LORD even when there is the noisy “clamor of evil” around you…that you trust Him to always be by your side – and to mete out justice according to His will…and that you would always recognize His voice.  You are precious to God…He loves you and wants to give you rest in Him.  Do you know Him well enough to let Him do exactly that?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: