Daily Devotional for July 28, 2014

Hebrews 10:11-18
Every priest goes to work at the altar each day, offers the same old sacrifices year in, year out, and never makes a dent in the sin problem. As a priest, Christ made a single sacrifice for sins, and that was it! Then he sat down right beside God and waited for his enemies to cave in. It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. By that single offering, he did everything that needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process. The Holy Spirit confirms this:

This new plan I’m making with Israel
    isn’t going to be written on paper,
    isn’t going to be chiseled in stone;
This time “I’m writing out the plan in them,
    carving it on the lining of their hearts.”

He concludes,

I’ll forever wipe the slate clean of their sins.

Once sins are taken care of for good, there’s no longer any need to offer sacrifices for them.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I’ve been helping my cousin Natalie with a makeover project on her kindergarten classroom. After 17 years of teaching, she was ready for a “room re-do.”  She found several ideas that she liked online and in stores, and we melded them into a cohesive “look” using the graphic design and photo editing programs on my computer.

When I was teaching in the late ‘70s and early-to-mid ‘80s, we didn’t have computers that created labels and artwork with the click of a mouse.  We didn’t know about fonts and Adobe Photoshop® and color printers.  I spent days and weeks coloring individual name tags and characters that I had printed out in black and white...outlining with a Sharpie® marker, then carefully cutting, pasting and laminating everything together.  We thought our results looked pretty good, but compared to the slick pieces that are possible today, our classrooms were downright crafty!

I stopped by the school to see Natalie’s progress, and she showed me her wall display for color words.  Each color word was printed on a card – in that particular color – and outlined in a matching polka-dot border.  But there was a gap.  She said, “I realized when I hung them that there was not a card for the color brown.  I messaged the person who designed these, and she said that she doesn’t have a template for brown.  So I am going to print a black and white copy and color it in...then cut and paste letters to make the word ‘brown’ for the center.”  I stopped her...”I can do all of that on the computer.”  Her eyes lit up.  “You can?”  “I’m pretty sure I can make that all work,” I told her. She sent me her file, and I was able to do in a matter of minutes what would have otherwise taken her hours...if not a whole day.

In recent years, I’ve thought about the things that my fellow teachers and I spent hours and days working on that are accomplished now with the click of a button.  I have asked myself how we did it all...and the short answer is that we gave up our nights, weekends, holidays and summers to prepare classroom materials and displays for our students.  It’s a wonder we found time to teach!  And quite frankly, there were times when we were drowning in mountains of paper work and “busywork” that we barely made a dent in the primary goal of presenting lessons and reaching academic objectives!

As I read this scripture passage, I thought about this...and about how many times we go around in circles, somewhat chasing our tail as we try to accomplish things that we do not have the adequate tools or skills to undertake.  Like teachers everywhere, we spend a lot of energy trying to figure out a “work-around” that will suffice...and often, we are more than a little disappointed with the results – if not downright wearied by them.  And nowhere is this more evident than in our attempts to muddle through life on our own...to do the same things over and over while hoping for different outcomes.  We often think we know so much more than we really do...or feel that our way is sufficient, if not better, than God’s.  And this is when we make a huge mess of things.

It’s MORE than a good thing that God is so merciful and tender with us.  We truly have no clue just how blessed we are that He sent Jesus to pay for our sins...once and for all.  I love the sentence...
”It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people.”  This sums up Jesus beautifully.  This description grasps the essence of His grace and mercy over us...and demonstrates His love for us.  He made us perfect...unblemished...pure and whole...and we could never have done this on our own, no matter how long or hard we tried.

I’m grateful for our present-day technology – even the vast array that I do not fully understand!  I love how computers can make things look so neat and pretty.  I am even more appreciative of the love and tender care of Jesus...how His single sacrifice accomplished what I never could. Now I am heaven bound, fully forgiven for my sins, and free to love others in His name and share the Good News that this gift extends to them, as well!  I know that the price He paid was anything but simple...far more than the click of a button!  And I recognize the tremendous love and commitment that He demonstrated on my behalf.

When I sent back the file to Natalie with the “brown” color card, she responded, “You saved the day!”  In the scheme of things, this was not a big deal on my part.  I just happened to have experience in pressing buttons and “cutting and pasting” on some pretty amazing and powerful computer programs!  But Jesus wiped the slate clean with His own blood on the cross...once and for all...and truly saved us from a life of sin and eternity in Hell.  Have you let Him know how grateful you are for this amazing sacrifice?  Isn’t it time you did?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: