Daily Devotional for September 13, 2014

1 John 5:14-15
We are certain that God will hear our prayers when we ask for what pleases him. And if we know that God listens when we pray, we are sure that our prayers have already been answered.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

“Can you hear me now?” We’re all familiar with this question and its pop-culture reference.  But who among us has not asked some form of this question of God?  Surely you have wondered at least once in your life whether He really heard you or not when you asked Him for something.

What about that time you needed help with your studies...your job...your bills...your health...your children...your relationships?  What did you ask of Him?  Did you ask Him to give you XYZ...did you give God a list of demands?  Or did you come to God with a humble, trusting spirit and ask Him to do what He felt was best?

Do we say to God, “LORD, I need you to do this!”  Or do we ask, “LORD, will you give me what you know that I need?” The first question reflects our will...the second reflects His...and there IS a difference!

One of the hardest things for Christians to master is the confidence to ask God for His will, rather than their own. It’s one thing to come to God and say, “I’m struggling with my bills...what should I do?”  It’s quite another to say, “Lord, please pay my bills!”  We can beseech God to “please heal me of this cancer”...but only if we add...”in YOUR way and in Your timing.”   We must fully understand that God’s healing may not come in this earthly lifetime...and His answers may not be what we want to hear!

Many of us receive frequent prayer requests from others...and of course, we agree to pray. But rather than telling someone, “Yes, I will pray that you get pregnant, and you and your husband finally have the family you want,” or “Yes, I will pray that you are selected for that prestigious recognition you seek,” or “Yes, I will pray that you win the game/election/prize”...I tell them, “Yes, I will pray for you.”  And I do...but I pray for God’s will in these situations...and for that person’s acceptance of His answers.

Here’s the thing...God wants us to solicit His time, attention and care...but He wants us to accept His methods and timetable.  He hears us...He really does.  But sometimes, what we ask for and what He knows to be best for us are entirely different things. Rather than give us what we want and deal with the potential perils and fallout, God occasionally appears to be silent.  Take this as a sign. Carefully study your path and your motives, and make sure they are in line with God’s. I assure you that He is working on your behalf...but maybe not in the way you expected.  Will you trust Him to do what He has said...to meet your needs...show you the right direction to take...to heal you completely?

You know that God hears and answers prayers that please Him.  What are you asking of Him today? Do you need to change your attitude toward your petitions - and God’s answers?  Do you have the right mindset to ask, “LORD...can you hear me now?”


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: