Daily Devotional for September 2, 2014

Psalm 86:1-7
Bend down and hear my prayer, O Lord, and answer me, for I am deep in trouble.

Protect me from death, for I try to follow all your laws. Save me, for I am serving you and trusting you. Be merciful, O Lord, for I am looking up to you in constant hope. Give me happiness, O Lord, for I worship only you. O Lord, you are so good and kind, so ready to forgive, so full of mercy for all who ask your aid.

Listen closely to my prayer, O God. Hear my urgent cry. I will call to you whenever trouble strikes, and you will help me.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

We’re a couple of weeks into the school year...and already, you’re struggling to keep up in a class or two.  The doctor just told you that you have a major illness and gave you treatment options to consider.  You (or an elderly friend or loved one) are experiencing difficulty in managing your daily living on your own, and it may be time to consider getting some help or moving into a facility where assistance is available. Someone has betrayed you – at school, in the workplace, at church, or even at home – and you don’t quite know what to do with these feelings. Your aging pet is in constant pain or has become quite ill, and you must make a gut-wrenching choice about his/her life. A certain set of circumstances has resulted in your need to make major decisions that could potentially cost you dearly in terms of time, money, relationships, and more.

Every day, many of us face some pretty big challenges. They may not actually be “life or death” situations...but a lot of them will certainly feel like it! We will find ourselves at least whispering under our breath, “I am deep trouble.” We will call on God to help us...to relieve us of these issues and give us hope and happiness. And our merciful God hears our pleas...and He so wants to help.

Here’s the thing...we ask for help, and then we often tie God’s hands.  We do this by not completely trusting Him to do what we have asked – and what He has promised.  We say, “Lord, help me!”  And then we act in a way that says, “I need Your help, but I’m not sure you really can provide it.”  We wring our hands and wallow in our fears, disappointments, frustrations, and concerns...and God essentially folds His arms and asks, “Do you really want My help...or not?”

I get it!  I do this, too.  But I am determined to stop, because I am convinced that I block God’s answers and blessings, to some degree. I believe that there are times when we wonder why God has not given us clear answers or direction...and when you really take a hard look at the situation, you see that YOU were the roadblock.  Think of a time when you have asked God to help you with something, and then all you did was “worry the problem to death” with talk and thoughts that clearly indicated that you did not truly trust Him to handle things. 

We have to give God room to work. We have to step aside and let Him have control. Imagine that you are in one room, God is in another...and there is a door between you. God hears your pleas for help...but in order for Him to work, you have to step away from the doorway and allow Him to step through.  You continue to stand at the door holding onto the handle, crying for help and wondering aloud just how this situation could possibly be resolved...what would be the best option...who you should consult or how you should proceed.  All you have to do is step aside and let God come through the door, and He will handle everything – perfectly. But you have to move out of His way first.

Isn’t today the perfect day to step aside and allow God to “come through the door”?  Aren’t you ready to experience his mercy, grace and compassion...to truly operate in the hope and happiness of allowing God to offer help and protection? Will you “let go and let God”...and feel the joy and peace that comes from trusting Him completely?  Or will you continue to stand on “the other side of the door” and whisper, “Lord, I am in deep trouble.”?


©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: