Daily Devotional for June 20, 2015

June 20 ~ Luke 17:28-30
“It was the same in the time of Lot—the people carrying on, having a good time, business as usual right up to the day Lot walked out of Sodom and a firestorm swept down and burned everything to a crisp. That’s how it will be—sudden, total—when the Son of Man is revealed."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I have to admit…the massacre of nine people at the “Mother Emmanuel” A.M.E. church in Charleston, South Carolina last Wednesday evening has caused a major shift in my thinking…and not in the way you might think. I had grown comfortable – and complacent – in a particular area of my faith.  Sure, I love Jesus…and He is front and center (most of the time) in my thoughts and actions.  Yes, I am certain that Heaven will be my eternal home…that my name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life…and that God is guiding my steps (though He may occasionally wring his hands and ask, “What on earth is she thinking?!”)

The much-needed “jolt” that this tragic event of June 17th provided for me is a reminder of 1) how precarious and temporary this life is, and 2) Who is really in control!  See, while I am ready for heaven in many ways, I realized that I have held subconscious thoughts that nothing will happen to me, because I still have work to do on this earth.  There are family members to nurture and care for…there are dozens of “important” projects to complete.  I have photos to scan and devos to write and children to drive to swim lessons and VBS… and so many more “important” things to accomplish!  But this week, I’ve very clearly felt God showing me that I am indeed important to Him…but I am not indispensible.  In other words, there is nothing about me that makes me more special than anyone else…more extraordinary…or more useful.

So when I saw a state senator and pastor swept to heaven in the middle of a sermon, I knew that the Son of Man can be revealed to any of us in a heartbeat. When I learned that a young man who just graduated from college has “graduated” to heaven…I realized that the plans we have cannot hold a candle to those of God.  When I heard about the seven other church members who nurtured a hate-filled, angry, malicious young man for more than an hour – and he shot them dead anyway…I realized that when God is ready for me, there won’t be a thing that I can do about it.  And more importantly - I won’t want to!

So I am looking at my life through a new lens…and I encourage you to do the same.  I am thinking more about every word and action…because they might be my last.  Did I offer kindness and a word from God to a would-be killer…or more likely, to someone so mired in depression or difficulties that he/she was facing a mental or emotional breakdown and considering suicide?  Did I waste time checking social media or watching a dumb reality TV show instead of playing with my little niece and nephews…doing something with my husband or other loved ones…or visiting someone who is sick, grieving or lonely?  Did I pay close enough attention to the people around me…both those I know and love – and those I’ve merely shared space with at the grocery check-out line, passed in a hallway at church, or swam next to at the community pool?

Have my comments on social media been kind and reflected God’s word and will?  Have I taken advantage of the minutes/hours/days/weeks/years that God has granted me on this earth?  Have I been like Lot…so busy carrying on and having a good time that I didn’t see the firestorm that was brewing…or recognize the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life?  If you and I were staring down the barrel of a gun as we attended a Bible study or prayer meeting – and given a moment to reflect before the trigger was pulled – what would we be the focal point of our last thoughts?

Are you ready for heaven?   Are you aware that the time of your departure is NOT your decision to make…and are you truly at peace with this?  We have seen this week that even the most faithful among us are not indispensible when God is ready for us to sit at Jesus’ feet.  When our perspective shifts and we change our attitude, we can start to really make the most of the time that we have left – and the blessings that God has given us.  I know I plan to…what about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: