Daily Devotional for June 3, 2015

1 Timothy 1:14-15
Oh, how kind our Lord was, for he showed me how to trust him and become full of the love of Christ Jesus. How true it is, and how I long that everyone should know it, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—and I was the greatest of them all.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
       
Nearly thirty years ago, I was tutoring my cousin in math and reading, and there was a Presidential election on the horizon.  This then-seven-year-old boy informed me one day that he was supporting George Bush for President…and he added…”No new taxes!”  I had to laugh out loud.  I knew that he had been listening to the talk of adults.  This child didn’t even know what taxes were…much less whether they were or weren’t a good thing!  But he formed an opinion early, as all children do.  And sometimes these opinions color our thinking well into adulthood.

I know that this is true for me.  There were certain people I did not care for – and issues that were totally “black and white” for me – because of what I had heard and observed from others who were older and (I thought) wiser.  It took me YEARS to form my own opinions about certain people and situations…and a lot of this shift was definitely a “God thing.”

As I began to understand how sinful we all are…and that Jesus, the Savior who came to rescue me and cover my sins also does that for every other sinner who will accept Him…I had to drop a lot of my judgments and exclusions.  I had to look at people as God sees them…imperfect, flawed, and in need of a redemption – just like me!  It’s not easy, even today.  When someone is being snarky or getting on my last nerve, I have to sometimes even chant to myself, “He/she is a child of God!” When people do “bad things,” I have to understand that I cannot possibly comprehend all that contributed to these actions…and it’s not for me to judge.  I have to get over MY irritations and frustrations and see these folks in the same manner that God sees me. 

Sometimes I am still aggravated – and at times, even a little critical.  But with prayer and conviction, my heart softens…and I find that I am generally more forgiving, tolerant and accepting.  I’m not a doormat…and I do guard myself against the caustic nature of certain people or situations…but hopefully, I am perceived as neither arrogant or condescending toward others, either.

My point is that we need to get over ourselves.  We’re not “all that and a bag of chips” – at least not any more than the next person.  God loves each and every one of us and wants us to turn from our sins and accept salvation through Jesus.  We cannot possibly convey this to other people if we are busy judging and discriminating - and tooting our own horns!

So think about your circle of friends and acquaintances today.  Consider the people and situations where you have passed judgment and “thrown a stone or two.”  Then think about what God has done for you, and remember that He offers this grace, mercy and forgiveness to ALL of us. 

If you have not surrendered your sins to the cleansing blood of Jesus, there is no better day than this one.  We do not have to cling to the ignorance and innocence of our youth. Jesus offers a better way – even to sinners like you and me. Are you ready to experience the kindness of Jesus and be filled with His love?  When others look at you, will they see a forgiven and loving sinner…or someone who feels superior?  Are you making a point – or making a difference in Jesus’ name?


©2015 Debbie Robus 

No comments: